Geocaching?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quasi

I'm thinking about getting involved in this hobby. Anyone out there currently participating? My wife is glad that I've finally found a hobby that I can spend some of our extra money on. ;)
Jim

quasi said:
I'm thinking about getting involved in this hobby. Anyone out there currently participating? My wife is glad that I've finally found a hobby that I can spend some of our extra money on. ;)
Jim

We did a Geocaching hunt during the QZ rally and will most likely do another at the MOAB rally.  We are beginners at Geocaching but having a go at it. ;D

Ron said:
quasi said:
Jim

We did a Geocaching hunt during the QZ rally and will most likely do another at the MOAB rally.? We are beginners at Geocaching but having a go at it. ;D

You can geocahe all most anywhere now.  Check out locations on the internet, I think it is www.geocache.???

Jim

Jim,
The site is www.geocaching.com

Good site and interesting search reports. I'm looking for someone to hook up with to get some face time and discuss some of my questions. This here puterin' thang works great for a lot of stuff but I get a lot more out of face to face talking. Sometimes I'm a little thick.
Quasi

This hobby is getting out of hand with slueths crossing private property and other invasive issues. It is so bad in SC that based upon public pressure the state is considering putting some sort of law together to limit its use. Bad spoil it for good coming into play again.

I've been geocaching for about two years now.? I have the Garmin Map60CS, a great tool for geocaching as well as just regular navigation on the road and while hiking.? The best part about this model is the search by name feature.? Say, for example, you would like to know where the closest Wal Mart is to your location, or a location where you've placed the arrow on the map on the screen.? You type in Wal Mart, and it brings up all of the Wal Mart stores that are contained in the maps you have downloaded on your GPS, in order of distance.? So you just select which one you want, and it directs you there.?

As for geocaching, it actually has a geocaching mode that is pretty slick.? You just download the geocaches that you want from geocaching.com, and they will list in order, according to distance.? It will then direct you to the coordinates, and then it's up to you to search for the container.?

I just download several for the area in which I'll be going, and then when we feel like finding a cool new hike, vista, or site, we "go geocaching."? I have geocached all over California, atop Mt. Whitney, Dumont Dunes, Glamis, Sacramento, San Diego, Yosemite, Sequoia Nat'l Park, in Nevada, Hawaii, Arizona, Lake Powell, just about everywhere I've been in the last two years.? Some are considered to be virtual geocaches.? These are necessary in National Parks because it's unlawful to leave anything behind in a National Park.? So a virtual one might send you on an adventure where you must read roadside signs or historical plaques to find clues to your next coordinates.? These have actually been some of the best ones simply because some of these signs or monuments might have otherwise been just overlooked.? My favorite hike in Yosemite was discovered through geocaching, a hike that is no longer in any guidebooks because the trail was damaged by a rockfall many years ago.? It is still passable, however, if not for the geocache, we would have never even known it exists.? It ends with a view of five waterfalls, unable to be seen from anywhere except this point.

Geocaching has become increasingly popular in Baja, Mexico over the last two-three years.  I attribute this to the general use of GPS handhelds which make the hobby relatively easy for even the novice.  The geocachers are very busy these days in lower Baja mountains especially.

When I first came to Baja over 30 years ago, we did a tremendous amount of exploring the boondocks.  We would find things again and again.  A lot of us oldtimers down Baja-way were 'geocaching' and didn't know it! 

Great fun.  I would like to try this again way up north in the wilderness of Canada along some of the old furtrader voyager routes of the 18th-19th centuries.

I tired it for the first time this year.  I think I picked a bad time of year for the sites I was seeking since I did not find any of them and was knee deep in either mud or snow in my search. :mad:  Some people at geocaching.com told me I needed to search as much as 60+ feet from the actual gps figures.  :eek: To me that covers one heck of a large area and with my disabilities it makes it hard to do so I am waiting until summer and give it one more shot and if I do as bad as the six I looked for this winter I will give it up.  But hopefully it will be better, I am not one to quit easily.  LOL

Hehe, my girlfriend and I did that a lot last year.  It is most fun in groups of friends and to pick some moderate to difficult Caches.  Its no fun to do alone, since half the fun of it is in bonding with others.

Back
Top Bottom