George Akers quoted in Las Vegas newspaper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

Lucy,

That hubby of yours is quoted in today's Las Vegas Review Journal (March 4, 2006).  An article that starts on page one is titled "Most cowboys taken aback by 'Brokeback'".  It continues on page two where George gave me my morning chuckle.  It reads:

Added George Akers, a retired rodeo calf roper from Maricopa, Ariz., "Well, I'll put it this way:  I've never had a cowboy wink at me."

I can just see George saying that! ;D  Tell George I said thanks for the chuckle.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Added George Akers, a retired rodeo calf roper from Maricopa, Ariz., "Well, I'll put it this way:? I've never had a cowboy wink at me."

Yes I can just hear George saying that too.  And I'll bet he is glad  no cowboy winks are sent his way.  Thanks for sharing.  I  had a good chuckle too.

Betty

Added George Akers, a retired rodeo calf roper from Maricopa, Ariz., "Well, I'll put it this way:  I've never had a cowboy wink at me."

Yep, Sounds like George.  Lucy please pass on to George my thanks for todays chuckle.

I  think that George doesn't get winked at is  because he doesn't give the impression that he would wink back..... John

But those Brokeback Mt guys (?) aren't cowboys...they're goat ropers.  ;D

I have a wonderful picture of George from one of the Centermost rallies.? Barbara Barbera asked him to move a flower arrangement from one place to another.? He was too much of a gentleman to refuse the request, but he handled it like it had "kooties" and the look on his face spoke volumes.? :D

Hugs, George!? You're the realest cowboy who ever put on a hat!

Margi

Thanks everybody. George thought he was talking to the local paper!

He is a team roper, not a calf roper and the Brokeback boys were sheep herders, not goat ropers. Otherwise...

Karl,

Here are a couple of shots of George in Pahrump a few years ago. He's the one in tan.

Attachments

• DSCN1226.JPG
    DSCN1226.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 36
lucyakers said:
...r and the Brokeback boys were sheep herders, not goat ropers. Otherwise...

OH, so Brokeback is about gay sheep hearders

Now that's a whole different kettle of stew

(You see, as it happens, I qualify for the "Cowboy" designation being as I grew up on a Dairy farm)

Karl,

I just noticed only one of the two photos made it. Here's the other.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.JPG
    DSCN1224.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Jim. With the digital, I always seem to get pics of the rear end of things as they go by.

To JohninDetroit: My brother is a dairy farmer. Dairy farmers are farmers, not cowboys! At least not in the tradition of Louis Lamour!

Back
Top Bottom