Getting Around The Credit Card Max. Limit On Fuel Fill-ups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's typically the credit card processor that sets a transactioon limit rather than the card issuing bank, but that is maybe academic. The point is that fuel stations are a primary source of fraudulent credit card use and some locations have a serious problem with it. You can bitch all you want, but they won't care about you individually. They are just looking at their fraud losses by week or month.

In some places I've been able to run the same card multiple times to fill. Others I've used a different card for each successive pump transaction. Once I went inside and the clerk did an override at the cash register once I explained. And since I mostly use the big truck stop truck lanes, I don't often run into pump limits there. Especially if you have one of their loyalty cards.

No one argues with cash..Never leave home without it >>>Dan
True, but when paying with cash, you need to go into the station at least once, thereby, delaying the people behind you in line, especially if you have to stand in line at the cash register.

I do, unless there is a big discount for using cash. The points from most credit cards can add up fast. Often using cash is just throwing money away.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yes, we have over $600 in the "percent back" fund of one card, and another gives us 3% to 5% back, depending on where and what we buy with it. And paying it off at the end of every month means no worries about the interest rate. Plus, we don't need $1,000 to $2,000 cash just for a trip- $300-400 generally leaves us with $15-$250 remaining at the end of the trip.

Without all the rebates/% back cash might make a bit more sense, especially at the few places that actually offer a substantial discount for paying cash. And, there are a few places out there that don't want to deal in cash anymore, but there are a handful of places (including a nice restaurant in the Black Hills) that only accept cash, so they don't have to deal with the expense of handling credit cards, especially multiple ones.

And paying it off at the end of every month means no worries about the interest rate.
I usually pay mine as soon as it posts. Ends up paying back the CCs several times per month. I do it all on-line.

I am too impatient to wait for the bills to come in.

I use CCs for everything possible except for the few places that only accept cash or offer a discount for using cash.

Just from using my Harley Davison credit card for gas and restaurants only, I ended up getting my full synthetic engine oils and filters free for life. In fact, more than I can use between the service intervals, so I also need to find other ways to spend that at the Harley shop.

And with my Kroger credit card that I use for many other things, I often do not have to pay for my groceries at Smiths. But that one usually doesn't quite keep up with the need for groceries. But it is enough to make a difference, as all my large purchases go on that one such as the $10,000.00 shed I had built in my back yard here. Why would anybody write a check, use a debit card or use cash for something like that?

And I use other credit cards for other such stuff that has an advantage elsewhere.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom