Getting it home - the journey begins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deb&RickTX

Rick took possession of our new home on wheels Monday and has done all the immediately needed maintenance. I flew in today. We'll spend the first night in it tonight, then head toward home first thing in the morning. Y'all have been so wonderful answering questions as we've searched, I thought you might like a little travelogue from two total newbies. I'll post separately if we have issues. This thread will be for updates and observations, hopefully more humorous than bitchy. So far, I love it. And we've already started the list of additions and improvements.

Attachments

• 20221208_125719.jpg
    20221208_125719.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 49
Nice rig! Hope all goes well. Looking forward to hear about the adventures.
By the way, after many decades, my definition of “adventure” has become: days of pure boredom punctuated by moments of abject terror.

Kevin

I will never forget my first time behind the wheel of of Class A. Donna was terrified, and our friends were driving behind us in their 38 ft Class A. It took a while before I got over 30 MPH, and even longer until I stayed in our lane. Luckily we drove the few hundred miles on back roads where there was little traffic so I basically had both lanes to play in. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it, and we dove it home from Florida to Nova Scotia without any problem.
Good luck with your new coach, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Ed

I recommend on this trip one of you act as spotter at each stop. The driver position over the wheels takes some time judging distances and adapting to field of view. Take your time and allow the spotter walk around coach if necessary. Do not forget to LOOK UP!

Have fun and enjoy,
Jennifer

Very nice rig. I agree about the spotter. Be very careful at gas pumps etc. I'd say walkie talkie, but it is 2022. Whoever gets out, call the other person and have speakerphone on, communication is key. Enjoy, hope you have good weather on first travels.

Looks great, do keep us posted on how things are doing along the trip, take your time and don't get frustrated, I second always use a spotter when you can, and remember overhead obstructions. I feel the FR3 is a good overall design, certainly better than many other coaches out there in the similar price range.

If this is the FR3 they were posting about last week, I think it is in Indiana, and they are driving it back to the DFW metroplex in Texas

days of pure boredom punctuated by moments of abject terror.
Like the time I drove over a hill on I-10 headed eastbound near the border between Arizona and New Mexico, and suddenly found myself halfway in the next lane. Luckily, the road was pretty deserted because the strong wind coming up the hill on the opposite side had blown me sideways!

Or the sudden rear dually wheel sidewall blowout on 5-lane I-80 headed north in the north SF Bay Area. Or more recently when I felt a strong vibration and discovered that 6 of the 8 lug nuts on my rear dually tires had broken off and I came close to losing both tires.

Anyway, that has not stopped me from driving, but it does make for an "adventure" you want to avoid. Good luck to you on your hopefully less-adventurous adventure! Drive carefully and be safe.

I feel the FR3 is a good overall design, certainly better than many other coaches out there in the similar price range.
That's how we ended up with this unit. The current FR3s look like the interior is made out of cardboard. The late 2019 models still look decent, but have several important upgrades over earlier models. This particular coach was also priced under market. So we got the most bang for our buck. We expect some frustrations but they should be more than outweighed by the fun parts.

We're starting from Lafayette, IN. We'll head over to Champaign, IL and head south on I-57. If we're doing well, we'd like to make Sikeston, Mo by mid-afternoon since we know of an easy RV park there. I have a closer one flagged in RV Parky if we need it. Cracker Barrel and WalMart are there if we need them.

Enjoy your trip!
you will find out (probably have already) that driving a Class A is not hard at all, but it demands your full attention 100% of the time. You can’t drift off, talk on the phone, or even carry on a serious conversation when you’re at the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom