Getting Past the Siskiyous in December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimbat

My wife and I (and our four dogs) are heading from Washington State to a dog agility tournament in Long Beach, CA in a few weeks. Our plan was to tow our fifth wheel straight down I-5, but I'm seeing some scary stuff about the Siskiyous.

Is it even worth considering towing over the Siskiyous in early December, or is it too treacherous?  I'm not much of a daredevil, especially with the rest of the family along.  Are there alternate routes for towing that could get us through or around the Siskiyous in a reasonable fashion?

I appreciate any info and opinions.

The I-5 route is fine in good weather and you can always cut out to the coast and go down 101 if the weather is bad over the Siskiyous.

jimbat said:
Thanks for the info. Is 199 at Grants Pass a logical place to cut over to 101?

Yeah.? But a word of caution, if a major Pacific storm is passing on down the coast, laying over at GP/Medford/Ashland is not a bad idea with either route.? ?Heavy coastal rains and winds can make travel on 101 more than a bit of misery.? ?Since I-5 is the Pacific Coast arterial they give plowing it the highest priority, so heading south or north on it is not a bad choice.

We live in mt.Shasta and the Siskiyou's are always an issue, but I have found that unless there is on heck of a storm if you plan to go over between the hours of 10am -3pm they are pretty used by the truckers and re good. There is always the chance of a really bad storm and in that case I would'nt want to be driving 101 in that kind of rain! Just keep an eye on the cal-trans cam site, they shoot a picture right at the summit and go for it.

Back
Top Bottom