Getting ready to tow for first time, what equipment do we need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will need a base plate for the car, a tow bar, breakaway system, and lights (normally done with a six or seven pin connector). IMO, you also need some type of auxiliary braking system. For our CRV we use Blue Ox towing equipment with a Brake Buddy brake. Roadmaster and Blue Ox are the two dominant companies for towd towing.

We've always used a 4 pin connector for lights. Since that's all you need for lights. Maybe there's a new normal?

Ken

I think Odie might have been saying most of the new coaches have the seven pin connectors, but we use a 7-pin to 4-pin cable for our lighting, which are diodes by the way.

We use a Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar with the Air Force One auxiliary braking system, the big advantage here for us being the use of the diesel air brakes and getting proportional braking.

Our Honda 6-speed requires no special considerations to tow, but your CRV may require the fuse pull/fuse switch trick so you don't run your battery down. Numerous threads here on that topic, and many people towing CRV's in other threads.

A 7 to a 4 pin will certainly work. I tow a Jeep. I went from a 7 to a 6 pin so I have an extra pin for charging my toad battery while on the road. Depending on the type of toad brakes you have some require power. Plus some power is consumed as the toad is in the braking mode. Nice to have a fully charged toad battery when you get to your destination.

Wyotraveler said:
A 7 to a 4 pin will certainly work. I tow a Jeep. I went from a 7 to a 6 pin so I have an extra pin for charging my toad battery while on the road. Depending on the type of toad brakes you have some require power. Plus some power is consumed as the toad is in the braking mode. Nice to have a fully charged toad battery when you get to your destination.
7 pin should already have a trailer battery charge connection??  Did you mean you went from 6 to 7?

Back
Top Bottom