Getting rid of roaches naturally - is this right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jscottt

We just moved in an apt. last Oct. but as the weather warms the roaches has come in ABUNDANCE. The last straw for me was some night when I went to drink my night water and their was a roach crawling around inside
sick.gif

:. So I went into extermenitor mood and have some ques. for anyone who has tried these.

1. I mixed baking soda and regular white sugar and put them around, but then when I went back and read online it said powdered sugar - would that make a difference, should I go out and get the powdered sugar?

2. I sprinkled some borax near the sink and stove area.

3. So far I have cleaned out our utensil draws and sprinkled crushed dried bay leaves - should I use fresh instead or do they both work equally? They had also made a home in a basket we have out to put provisions and fruits in, so I layered it w/ bay leaves and but the leaves under it. I have to yet see if they made a home out of it yet, I do see one around it sometimes but that is it.

4. DH bought those Raid hotel looking things so we have those around too.

5. Decluttered around the countertops and sink and trying to keep it as clean. But it is hard to keep the sink dry all the time. Can the roaches get in the dishwasher? I plan on putting all the dishes in there.

Things I plan on also doing.

1. I heard about diatomaceous earth and plan to go buy some.

2. Putting garlic under in the cabinets also.

3. Making a bay leaf tea to spray around the place.

ALL other tips welcome, PLEASE

Off to try and finish cleaning the rest cabinets and putting the dried bay leaves in them.

Last edited:
So I'm looking at a place that is affordable and has the amenities I would like, but there's one thing that is making me think...

Pest control comes by every week for a "preventive check". It kind of makes me think they have a bug problem (particularly roaches are a problem in that area). I have a serious fear of bugs so this would be a nightmare if it were true.

What do you think? I don't have much else to reference, but it does make me think that they wouldn't do it that often if it were not a problem.

What's normal for pest control, and is there any way right off the bat I could tell if an apartment might have pest problems?

Thank you so much, would appreciate any insight at all on this.
Ask someone.

My daughter close to Atlanta, a very common thing. She's on a 3rd floor, never sees a bug, something to consider.

We just moved in an apt. last Oct. but as the weather warms the roaches has come in ABUNDANCE. The last straw for me was some night when I went to drink my night water and their was a roach crawling around inside
sick.gif

:. So I went into extermenitor mood and have some ques. for anyone who has tried these.

1. I mixed baking soda and regular white sugar and put them around, but then when I went back and read online it said powdered sugar - would that make a difference, should I go out and get the powdered sugar?

2. I sprinkled some borax near the sink and stove area.

3. So far I have cleaned out our utensil draws and sprinkled crushed dried bay leaves - should I use fresh instead or do they both work equally? They had also made a home in a basket we have out to put provisions and fruits in, so I layered it w/ bay leaves and but the leaves under it. I have to yet see if they made a home out of it yet, I do see one around it sometimes but that is it.

4. DH bought those Raid hotel looking things so we have those around too.

5. Decluttered around the countertops and sink and trying to keep it as clean. But it is hard to keep the sink dry all the time. Can the roaches get in the dishwasher? I plan on putting all the dishes in there.

Things I plan on also doing.

ALL other tips welcome, PLEASE
Home Remedies For Cockroach Infestation
Off to try and finish cleaning the rest cabinets and putting the dried bay leaves in them.
thanks in advance for any help

After I moved to FL I got some roaches in the RV. Good ol' giant Florida ones.

I bought a tube of this stuff (at Dollar General) and it is amazing. I laid it in corners and along paths I saw them walk.

They were gone in a day and haven't been back.

1: DE does see to help but if you spread it too thick they avoid
2: No clue never heard of that same for 3
Now... I had cats which finally died of old age.. after they died I decided to bore the roaches to death. (I call it Oh So Boring Acid) Boric acid, also known as orthoboric acid.
This is not a pet friendly product.
I masked up (you don't want to breath it either) and using a vacuum/blower "Dusted" the entire place. I also use Insect bombs once a month.. Where I'd often see dozens a day I now see one to three a month and the numbers continue to drop as I continue to bomb.
I once watched one run out onto an area that was dusted (on a vinyl section of flooring) he made it about 6 inches before TU

There was a period of time I had to deal with the giant roaches that run around ABQ. First and foremost, if you don't discover and mitigate where there getting in from, any repellent or killer will be futile. All it will do is create a dead roach cleanup problem that never ends. What worked for me was to use glue traps, not so much as a means of mitigation but it helped identify where they were coming in. Some glue traps never caught any, some would trap several a night. The "busy" traps ened up being near the ingress. The major "leak" was a gap in the wall between the garage and laundry room and they were coming in under the baseboard - a ridiculously small gap. Another source was some gaps in the outside brick wall mortar, where they would crawl through the wall cavity and again come in through a baseboard gap. Once I remodeled the house and sealed everything up tight I haven't had a problem since. Making the point that they don't manifest out of thin air, they're coming in from somewhere and no amount of powders, sprays or traps will stem the tide.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I have used, and highly recommend, a product known as Demon WP which is a wettable powder. You put water in a garden sprayer and drop in packets much like laundry packets. It makes a gray water, spray it on the floor along the base boards, underneath cabinets, crevices, etc. The water evaporates in an hour or so and the residue is harmless to pets. Bugs cross it and it kills them rather quickly. Spraying only once every year or two is more than enough. It can be ordered from Do It Yourself Pest Control places online or a local DIY Pest Control store. For spiders double the dosage, as spiders do not clean themselves and its harder for them to ingest it.

Demon WP Insecticide

Cyper WSP

Charles

A roach's life cycle is quite fast. They go from egg to running around in less than an month. You need to kill them fast enough that they don't lay eggs again. I have seen roaches in death-throes and disgorging an egg sac while dying. I use Spectricide Bug Stop or Ortho Home Defense twice a year (Spring & Fall, when the weather starts changing). Outside and spray the under carriage as well. Inside and leave for a few hours while it dries. But that isn't alway enough. I have found the best way to trap roaches is to use Gorilla duct tape and tape it down to the countertop or wall with the sticky side up (I use 6" sections held down on each end with another small piece of tape). It will trap them alive. And then you have to kill them. I have a mild phobia about roaches. I have learned to rip another smallish piece of tape and cover the roach on the piece of tape. them I fold the rest of the trap tape over and encase the roach inside the tape. And I hit it with a small tacking hammer. Then I toss the sealed packet into the garbage. (If I can't see it, it's not there). That has actually worked the best for getting rid of the roaches. But I had to get used to sticky tape in odd places. The roaches seemed to be very fond of my countertop dishwasher. One of the places I lived in FL had weird deformed roaches. It was from pesticides that they had adapted to. I used "Roach Pruff" (electrostatically charged boric acid) and they didn't die but they did move to the other side of the duplex we lived in. Then they were someone else's problem.

I bought Harris. It didn't work at all on the NM roaches. Maybe it works on other roaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom