Getting right with the world.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhcowdude

Made it home from the first trip. Everything worked out fine, I just created more work for myself than needed.  Had some side to side leveling problems that I squared up with a hydraulic jack and a handful of blocks. So made it home, backed it in where I wanted it and checked the level BEFORE I unhooked! Needed about 2 inches under each tire. Backed it up on the blocks and it was right!  Set the landing gear down and couldn't find the right hole to lock it in. When one was right, the other was about a half inch high. When I got away from it both legs were carrying weight. Now the question. Is that tweaking things too much? Do I make some wedge shims for that situation? Or do I say close enough and not worry? Thanks.

What I do when I disconnect my fifth wheel, I pull the pin and let the leg fall to the ground then I raise it by hand to the first hole. I do the same for the other leg. There's enough give in the frame to take that little bit of difference.

Thank you. That is what I ended up doing and figured it was ok.! Everything else went so well that I had to find something to worry about!

If you needed 2" under each tire, you were already level side to side??  No need for boards except to add long term stability (tire sink) to the tires.  Use the front jacks to level.

Not this month in the USA but when you park it for the winter you may want to lay a 2x12x12 under the landing gears..

Why you ask.

Well I've had my jack pads freeze to the ground.  Job breaking them free w/o damage

I've had the blocks freeze to the ground as well. more on that in a bit
The jacks however DID NOT freeze to the blocks  Came right up.

Then I pulled off.. Went back and gently tapped the blocks with my 8 pounder and they popped free just like that (Gently "tapped" with an 8 pound sledge.. well perhaps not all that gently). The 8 pounder was overkill.. I'm sure the 2 pounder could have done it.

I have a two by that I use under my jack on a utility trailer up here in the northeast. I had it freeze to the ground once and was tough to break free.

I beveled the down hill edge so it is undercut. I have a 3 lb hammer in the truck with a wedge on one end. A light tap under the bevel with the wedge end and up she comes.

Back
Top Bottom