Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duanewf

;D  Hello to all,  My wife and I have RV'd about 10 years beginning with a 22 ft. 5th wheel with no slides and moving up to a 27 ft. Salem by Forest River with one slide.  Just last June, we finally got a 2004 Ram 2500 diesel and a 31 ft. Legends by Pilgrim with three slides, nice lay out.  We are retired and in our 70's with a house in Texas.  After this very hot summer, we are concerned about adequate cooling in our new Legends which has one 15k A/C.  Company claims that it is within specs, but once outside temp gets to 90 or higher, it will struggle to maintain a 10 degree differential.  If anyone has successfully supplemented the factory air, we'd like to hear about it.  We have 30 amp system so cannot add a unit without rewiring.

I don't know any way to build in a permananet solution becasue you lack the additional electrical power to handle more cooling.  However, there are portable a/c unts and perhaps you could run a suitable extention cord outside and plug it into the 15/20A outlet that can be found on most power posts.  That would avoid placing the extra load on your 30A trailer supply.

Here is a source to learn more  about Portable Air

A lot of places sell portable a/c units - one is Staples

A 31er is bit on the big side.  Even if you cannot change the A/C or wiring there may be some tricks you can pull. 

1.  Park in sited oriented N/S so that the area exposed to the sun in the south is the least.

2.  Use an awning to shade at least one side of the trailer.  Consider window awnings

3.  Your model seems to have a rear picture window.  See if you can get it covered with reflective film.  IF you have a lot of side windows , consider film for them.

4.  Check the A/C filters and keep them clean.

5.  Make sure your furnace is not on too.  Yeah, that sounds funny but it does happen.

6.  Have an A/C tech check out the operation of your unit.  If it is not operating according to his specifications get back to the mfr on warranty.

Back
Top Bottom