GFCI Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlsmith1975

Our GFCI failed last night. When we reset it, smoke started coming in through the electrical panel and the bathroom where the main GFCI outlet is. Can you please tell me if this is common and the best way to fix this?

Thank you.

Our GFCI failed last night. When we reset it, smoke started coming in through the electrical panel and the bathroom where the main GFCI outlet is. Can you please tell me if this is common and the best way to fix this?

Thank you.
I would say it’s not common. I’m 71 and never had an outlet cause a load center to smoke. The best way to fix it is to hire an electrician as it sounds like you are not familiar with electricity. Something has shorted in that circuit and caused some damage. You could replace the GFCI but I’m afraid there is more damage other than just the outlet.

Welcome to the forum.

One thing you could do which doesn’t require a lot of experience is to check all the screws in the electrical panel to see if they are tight.
First, unplug the rv at the power source before you do anything.
Disconnect the negative cable on your battery. This needs to be done if you have a INverter.
Next remove the cover on the breaker panel which will expose all the wiring and the circuit breakers.
Next check the screws holding the wiring to each breaker.
Then reinstall the panel cover.
Reconnect the battery cable.
Now plug in the power cord for the rv and try resetting the GFCI.

Now if you didn’t find any loose screws, I would contact a electrician.

I don't think your GFCI failed - it tripped doing its job (shutting off power on a ground fault condition). Somehow when you reset it, there was no more ground fault and some wiring smoked. You have a very serious electrical failure and need expert help. Shut off the main breaker in the load center and unplug from shore power.

I would suggest unplugging from shore power until you determine exactly what is going on.
Do you have a fire extinguisher and know where it is?

I would say it’s not common. I’m 71 and never had an outlet cause a load center to smoke. The best way to fix it is to hire an electrician as it sounds like you are not familiar with electricity. Something has shorted in that circuit and caused some damage. You could replace the GFCI but I’m afraid there is more damage other than just the outlet.
Thank you, we have an electrician here now.

Thank you.
Is everything else working inside your RV?

I wonder if that AC line goes to your refrigerator after that GFI outlet. And then the heater element shorted to the frame as happened in my Y2K RV.

-Don- Phoenix, OR

Well you need to find the device the smoke came out of... (Serious here though I worded it, hopefully funny) Then find out what Smoked it You may need a new GFCI as well but suprisingly enough it might be just fine. Depending on what smoked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom