Gimme a brake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riverracerxxx

So my dad took the RV up the coast (Big Sur) for the week. He called me on the drive back to say he had a blast! Everything worked fine. Then he mentioned that we might want to get it into the the shop after he got back to have the brakes looked at. Said they worked fine on the drive up, but driving down the last day noticed they were a bit mushy and there was a slight vibration while braking. So he gets to my place (we keep the RV at my place), and starts telling me about the trip. Then the brake issue comes up and I just decide to take a peek through the rim at the drivers side rotor... This is what I saw:
I'm thinking a little Stop Squeak should fix it right up.. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20121004_172927.jpg
    IMG_20121004_172927.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20121004_173102.jpg
    IMG_20121004_173102.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 109
What's that on?  I have a Ford E450 class C and just had to have the front rotors replaced.  They weren't cracked, but were either bad from the start or had become embrittled with overheating.  They could not turn them because the metal just chipped away rather than cutting, leaving the surface rough.

Assuming you replace the rotors, I highly recommend you replace the calipers (and of course, the pads) as well.  Since your MH is nearly 20 years old, it's probably due new calipers anyway.  While you are at it, it would be a good time to replace the front brake lines just to be sure they have not been causing the brakes to drag.

Hmm, this is starting to get expensive. I was planning to put on two new rotors and HD brake pads. I hadn't thought about calipers and brake lines though.

It all depends on your planned usage, and how preventative you want to be.  The calipers/lines may be fine, but at least have them inspected (or inspect yourself if you know what you're looking at) and pay close attention to brake performance after you have the new rotors/pads installed.

The brakes were working great before this. Good feel, great power. So I feel good about the rest of the components in general. I will definitely check all the components when I change the rotors though.

So now to the parts. Been looking online for new parts. Looked at Bendix and Centric. Anyone know of any good sites for finding replacement rotors, pads etc?

Depending on the parts stores in your area:

www.Advanceauto.com
www.AutoZone.com
www.OReillyAuto.com

They will all have parts for E350 chassis.  I like to order online and then pick up in store (especially heavy stuff like brake rotors), unless they happen to have a promotion for free shipping to my house.  There are usually sales or online discount codes that can be applied at those sites.  Don't forget www.RockAuto.com as they have extensive parts listings for almost any car/truck you can think of, and they give out 5% discount codes like candy (I have a current one if you need it, send me a PM).

I get a lot of my parts from Sumit Racing
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1993/Make/FORD/Model/E-350-ECONOLINE/Department/Brake-Systems/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc&page=1
I like the fact you can do a serch just for your needs.
Bill

You might want to check on the type of pad you are using as a lot of rotor damage starts with the pad. The ceramic are a bit more $ but are much easier on the rotors. The orig were usually a type of sintered iron or semi-metallic which work well but are real hard on the rotor because of the heat generated. This is magnified if you are towing of course. Just something else to consider.

Back
Top Bottom