glacier national park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

normeller

We are planning a trip to Montana in our 5th wheel this summer. Will probably be there latter part of June and July. Any advice about traveling in the Glacier area and campground info will be appreciated. Will be coming from N. Carolina

I left Raleigh, NC on the 6th of June last year and got to Glacier (after Tetons and Yellowstone) in the third week of June and the "Going to the Sun" road was not open beyond Logan Pass.  I'd check their web site regularly to see what the road conditions are.  It's a shame not to be able to drive that road from end to end.  It was still beautiful.  lou

how are the driving conditions in that part of Montana, have not been beyond Missoula?

We did both the east and west side. On the west side, there is the KOA and several others including Glacier. There are the ones inside the park (none of which have hookups). There is also an 18 hole golf course just outside the west gate in West Glacier that has some sites right next to the clubhouse. You won't find that one listed in any of the books. I think you need to call the golf course for info about them. Neat golf course by the way. Last time we played there had a moose trot across the fairway in front of us. Spend a few days there and take the Red Bus up to the top of Going to the Sun Highway. (Don't do the round trip down to the east side. Do that on your own when you stay on the east side. (More about that later.) Lots of hikes to take in the park and check out the Lodge. Outside, spend some time checking out the area. Kalispell is a neat town and here is a wonderful winery on US93 on the west side of flathead lake. Ride over to Whitefish and take in the downtown farmer's/craft market at the train station and then take a ride up the tram at the ski slope and hike back down after having a Moose Drool and a bite to eat at top.

When you get done on the west side, take Highway 2 and head east along the south end of the park. Stop at Nimrod and check out the railroad yard and lodge. Lots of old railroad stuff and a pretty good restaurant...also have several cottages for rent that are converted cabooses. Further east, stop and check out the gorgeous lodge at East Glacier Park (or do that on a day trip out of St Mary). After East Glacier, head to St Mary but don't take 49 (Looking Glass Hill Road) with your rig...save that for the toad or the tow vehicle. Instead, continue on US2 to Browning and take US 89 to St Mary. In Browning at the intersection of US2 and US89, you will find the Blackfeet Indian Museum. Worth a stop there. Continue on to St Mary on the east side of the park and stay at either the KOA or Johnson's. They are pretty much right across the street from each other. Johnson's is on a hill and has a great view plus a good restaurant. From St Mary, take the toad or tow vehicle and drive west up the Going to the Sun to the top. Park up there at the Logan Pass Visitor Center and take the hike up the hill. (If you take the Red Bus round trip you won't have time to do the hike.) After that, take a day to drive up to Babb and go in to the Many Glacier park entrance and drive up Many Glacier Road up to the lodge. There are several hikes you can take there but an easy, short one goes from the lodge around the small lake. This is a beautiful area of Glacier Park and not many people make it here. Kinda like the difference between the north and south rims of the Grand Canyon.

If you still have time, take 89 north of Babb to 17 thru the park to the Canadian side. (17 turns to 6 in Canada.) Beautiful drive and easily done with the RV. Press on over to Waterton Park and take in the Canadian part of Glacier called Waterton Lakes National Park. There is a really nice lodge there and a little town that has a campground with 238 sites, 95 of which have full hookups.

Got more time? Head up the Cowboy Highway to Banff and then to Jasper. All I can say about that is WOW!  ;D

Bruce did a good job of giving hints for Glacier.  However, he missed one at Waterston, Canada, and that is the carriage museum there.  It is huge and VERY interesting.  We expected to kill an hour there and I think we spent three or more.  We've seen several carriage museums, but there were some here that we had never seen before, anywhere else.  Also, they have such a big collection that they have them in two tiers in one place.  They also give carriage rides around the park.  They have some beautiful horses that are cared for in one of the cleanest stables we've ever seen.  We found this place fantastic and would go back again.

We stayed at Johnson's CG on the west side.  It's high on a bluff, and it can get a tad windy up there, but the view is awesome. 

About 3 years ago I stayed at North American RV Park near West Glacier.  The place has changed hands, so I don't know if the name's the same.  Very few trees for those with slides.  It's maybe 5 miles west on US2 from the West Glacier park entrance.  There were 3 or 4 other parks right along that part of the highway.  The Glacier Amtrak station was charming.

If you bicycle, it's fun to bike down the trail on Big Mountain by Whitefish.  Phone first.  The third time I drove all the way there and half way up the mountain to the lift, there was a bike race, so I couldn't ride.  One of the western wear stores in downtown Whitefish gave lift discount tickets, no purchase necessary.

And downtown Whitefish is kind of a fun couple blocks of shopping. 

The huckleberry festival there was pleasant. 

I thought Kalispell was hot and unattractive, so I probably missed the good parts.

The hike to Avalanche Lake is worth the walk.  It's pretty busy, though.

I did the all day red bus tour from the lodge.  I thought it was worth it.

--pat

Are there any length limits on the Going to the Sun road or any of the others around there?  I vaguely seem to remember seeing signs to that effect when I was out there years ago, but in my RX-7, it wasn't an immediate concern <g>.

Wendy

Wendy:

Ck their website, since Going to the Sun Highway was supposed to be rebuilt either last year or the year before.  At they time we were there (3 years ago?), they had limiited lenghts to cars, truck campers and very small class C's.  I know parts of it had crumbled so badly that theiyhad to take more time than they thought they would need in a few areas of reconstruction.  I have not talked to or known anyone that has been there since we were there, so cannot give you up to date knowledge on it.

Daisy,

Per the web site the road will be open with minimal delays (30mins) for construction during peak season. Pre and post peak season and at night the road may be closed at times. The construction may be on going for years.

We plan Glacier as our summer destination.

See you in May.

ken

wendyann said:
Are there any length limits on the Going to the Sun road or any of the others around there?  I vaguely seem to remember seeing signs to that effect when I was out there years ago, but in my RX-7, it wasn't an immediate concern <g>.

Wendy

Page 46 of the 2007 Trailer Life Directory states --
All vehicles over 21 feet long (including bumpers) and 8 feet wide (including mirrors) not permitted through Logan Pass at summit of Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park.  Shuttle service is available between St. Mary and West Glacier.  Restriction from Avalanche Campground on south side to Sun Point area on north side.

Daisy said:
Wendy:

Ck their website, since Going to the Sun Highway was supposed to be rebuilt either last year or the year before.  At they time we were there (3 years ago?), they had limiited lenghts to cars, truck campers and very small class C's.  I know parts of it had crumbled so badly that theiyhad to take more time than they thought they would need in a few areas of reconstruction.  I have not talked to or known anyone that has been there since we were there, so cannot give you up to date knowledge on it.

I'm not planning on heading back out there any time soon, but I did seem to remember seeing signs about length limits when I was there, and I certainly remember thinking I was really glad I *wasn't* in anything bigger than my little sports car, even though there were a lot of RVs of one sort or another on the road.  It's a spectacular drive, to be sure, but not for the faint of heart, even in a car.

Wanting to be *able* to go to places like that in any rig I might buy is likely to be a big factor in whatever I choose, when the time comes.  I'm not gonna live with a small class C, though, and clearly some places, *nothing* else will work.  OTOH, I think I'd be terrified to drive anything bigger than a car on some roads.

Wendy

wendyann said:
Wanting to be *able* to go to places like that in any rig I might buy is likely to be a big factor in whatever I choose, when the time comes.  I'm not gonna live with a small class C, though, and clearly some places, *nothing* else will work.  OTOH, I think I'd be terrified to drive anything bigger than a car on some roads.

Yes, that's very true WendyAnn, and that's why most of us pull a car.  Too many beautiful places to pass up, merely because we can't take the mh.  We'd have missed so many out of the way places without the toad.  Lots of back roads with lots of magnificent scenery which is usually missed by the tourist hordes, because the large busses can't get to them.  This makes for a very pleasent experience for the rest of us.  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom