Glad to be here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fulltime Jane

My husband and I have decided to take early retirement (mid to late 50's), rent the house for a year and hit the road within the next 4 to 6 months.  We have a big problem now... that problem is sticking with the work program for just a few more months.  Suddenly, we feel liberated and look forward to joining all of you "veterans" out there.  We know next to nothing now, so we will be scouring this site constantly. Thanks for all the wonderful information.

Welcome to the Forum.
Your choice to pull the switch is one you (hopefully) will not regret, only that you'll wish you had done it sooner :D We'll try to help make the transition as easy as possible. Do you have an RV yet, or are you in the looking stage?

Karl -  We're in the looking stage.  Down to a small Class A.  It seems to change all the time, but right now it's between a Tiffin Allegro and a Safari Trek.  It's just the two of us.  We're trying to keep it under 30 ft.  Your site seems very big on Tiffin.  We just read they make a diesel now in the smaller Tiffin Allegro 28DA, but we know diesel is quite expensive.  Decisions!

Welcome aboard, Jane and hubby. Join in the conversations here and feel free to ask any old "dumb question" that occurs to you.

Yes, Tiffin has recently had a lot of good press here, but we are also high on Newmars and the Monaco family of products.

"Need more space" is the #1 reason for the early trading of motorhomes. Those walls really close in on you when you spend months at a time in an RV.  So be careful of starting out too small, because it is horrendously expensive to trade when you only had a rig for a year or two. Depreciation and the wide spread between wholesale (trade-in) and retail are killers.  Even on a used RV.

Welcome Jane and Mr Jane. We're also on the short track to full-timing. Lots of excellent information here and folks who can answer just about any question you might have so ask away.

Wendy
Windswept in Death Valley

Welcome to the RV Forum. Please look around the forum,  join in on any of the on going discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions. Thanks for joining us.

Gary's reply about "Need more space" is right on the money. I started out with an older 38+ footer (1996) class A and still have it. It's only Hercule, the Attack Cat, and myself, and we still haven't enough room! Being just "us two boys" may have something to do with it 'cause we tend to leave things scattered about, but you'll find there's always a need for more space - It's part of Murphy's Law.

Jane McI said:
.....but right now it's between a Tiffin Allegro and a Safari Trek......

Jane,

One caution on the Safari Trek. With the drop down bed remember that BOTH of you have to go to bed at the same time. One of you can't stay up to read or watch TV while the other goes to bed. Just something to concider.

If you intend to full time I would suggest something larger than 30 feet. You'll need the storage room.

Very good point about the Safari Trek bed!  Our main concern for staying under 30 ft is due to access limitations we hear exist for certain parks.  Is this true?  Thanks everyone.  P.S.  I know this may be a silly newcomer fear, but I suppose once you drive anything over 25 ft, it must become easy??

We've stayed under 30-feet because many of the places we like to go have size limits - national and state parks, forest service campgrounds, etc. And we can maneuver nicely in most parking lots.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom