Glow plugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grump

The preheat on my Onan 7500 seems to have quit working just as AZ nights are turning cold! This is on my 04 Gulfstream, I checked the F-3 fuse and it is good, my question is does anyone know of a good shop in western AZ that could change the glow plugs? I looked and don?t see any way to get at it, afraid genset will probably have to come out, and that is something I could not do! Any help is appreciated and Happy Holidays to all!

Just a wild guess since I know nothing about your rig, but could it be a battery issue?  You could try starting the generator when you're plugged in to test.  Changing out a battery would be easier.

It appears you can download the 7500 service manual here:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/80ef52c68b11b5250ded3cdb2bfc7b97

Or buy a copy for $9.95 at https://www.servicemanualbit.com/downloads/cummins-onan-hdkaj-hdkak-hdkat-mobile-generator-sets-service-repair-manual/
Might be able to figure a way to DIY.
Otherwise, a Cummins/Onan shop would be your best bet - they know how to get them out and how to diagnose quickly.  There are several listed, e.g. Mesa, Phoenix, etc. Just Google Cummins Onan service.

One of the many "Toys" (Tools) I have is a Craftsman Multi-meter with an ammeter clamp that works for both DC and AC (yes you can get clamp on DC ammeters)

Clamp the 12 volt cable then hit the switch to light up the glow plugs. NO CHANGE.. indicative

How many amps the Glow plugs should draw. I DO NOT KNOW  but I'd guess at least 1.

A good Multi-Meter is a valuable tool.. My brother did an overhaul on a Farm Tractor and no start.  I broke out a multi meter I had (paid as I recall $8.00 (7.95) for it at Radio Shack) and quickly found the fault (Points)  he ask me how much I paid and I told him. He told me they had one back at the school he was attending did the same thing cost $1,500.

Of course with the eight buck meter I had to interpret the readings. But both meters got to the same component.  Sure enough replaced the points (Which were already new) and VAROOM.

You did not state where in WESTERN AZ..  But a place in Quartzsite can do it.. It's an RV repair shop on the north eastern corner of Main and Center st., bright yellow building.>>>Dan

You did not state where in WESTERN AZ.. But a place in Quartzsite can do it.. It's an RV repair shop on the north eastern corner of Main and Center st., bright yellow building.>>>Dan
would that be Gamblers RV?

No,, Gamblers is all but out of business. Most of their inventory is old and outdated, they have not been able to gather RV parts from the manufacturers as they have in the past.. The stated RV repair place is one block north of Gamblers ( Main street ) on the same side from hwy. 95..>>>Dan

No,, Gamblers is all but out of business. Most of their inventory is old and outdated, they have not been able to gather RV parts from the manufacturers as they have in the past.. The stated RV repair place is one block north of Gamblers ( Main street ) on the same side from hwy. 95..>>>Dan
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom