GMC Acadia toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I picked up our new GMC Acadia earlier this week and we are really impressed with it. Of course, we must have liked it since we bought it, but after driving it about 350 miles it has exceeded our highest hopes!    Our previous toads have been chosen more for function than form, styling, comfort, etc., but I think this is going to be a great vehicle as well as good functional toad. It is smooth and  quiet, with excellent handling and just about any amenity you could think of (many of which are standard).

The GMC Acadia is built on the new GM Lamda platform, which it shares with the new Saturn Outlook and the Buick Enclave (the Enclave will be offered later this year). These are totally new vehicles from the 18" wheels on up, so-called "crossover SUVs" which have a car-like unibody rather than body-on-frame, pick-up truck style construction. The Acadia is more upscale (and more expensive) than the Saturn, but both are very nicely equipped vehicles.  The Acadia is big, a bit larger than an Envoy/Trailblazer, and has a 6 speed automatic and a really potent, high revving 3.6L V6. It is available in front wheel drive and AWD and both versions are towable without mods. They do want you to pull a fuse to tow, though, and that fuse is under the hood.  You can bet I'll be figuring out a way to put a switch on that circuit and run it back into the cab area.  There is seating for 7 but two rows of seats fold flat and yield an incredible 116 cubic feet of cargo space.

The Acadia may stretch the tow capacity of a gas chassis motorhome - the base weight is 4700 lbs on the FWD model and 4900 on the AWD.

The new 6 speed transmission was jointly developed with Ford and a similar 6 speed is used on the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover SUVs.

Attachments

• Brincks Acadia front (Medium).JPG
    Brincks Acadia front (Medium).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 22
Gary,

It is a fine looking automobile and I'm sure you and Nancy are really going to enjoy it. However, did you take the long route from TGO to The Forest? ;D ;D

Congratulations Gary, that's a sharp vehicle.

Gary

Looks good, I think you will like it....We have enjoyed our '02 Envoy for almost 5 years of trouble free service.

RV Roamer said:
Nope. Already had 220 miles on it when I left your place.

Well, that explains it then. :) Still only have 134 miles on the bike. Weather has not been conducive to riding and we've had an extremely busy weekend with the Navy League. German and American ships in at NOTU.

Gary,

I really liked the Saturn Outlook when I saw it at the dealership. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was too new for anyone to have designed a baseplate for it. Do you know who (if anyone) has a baseplate for the Arcadia or Outlook yet?

Howard

Do you have any data on mpg, yet?

EPA economy ratings are 18/26.  Got 23 mpg (mostly highway) on my first tank. That seems to be consistent with what is being reported by other new owners on the Acadia Community forum.  Not outstanding, but not bad for a 4700# vehicle either.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was too new for anyone to have designed a baseplate for it. Do you know who (if anyone) has a baseplate for the Arcadia or Outlook yet?

Blue Ox has one for the Outlook under development. They will tackale the Acadia next, hoping the Outlook base plate will be close or maybe even identical.  Unfortunately, they have not been able to get their hands on an Acadia yet. I may have to drive to the Pender, NE Blue Ox factory (3000 mile round trip) myself if something doesn't break loose in the next 3 weeks. Blue Ox will give me base plates and a tow bar as a reward if I do that.

Roadmaster also says they are working on an Outlook base plate, but last I talked to them they were not as far along as Blue Ox. I suggest you email them using the Contact Us links on the Blue Ox and Roadmaster websites. You will get the latest info and also motivate them to work faster. As in any business, the sight of a customer with money in hand is a tremendous motivator.

Forget about Demco - they will not even consider building a base plate until there is a substantial market already established for the part.  Were at all not interested in being first to market with a solution. They told me that flat out and rather rudely too.

Back
Top Bottom