GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are no requirements to obtain a GMRS license other than paying the fee. That's it. No studying. No tests. No having to track down a HAM club to take a test or dealing with a bunch of arrogance that we all know exists. Once the GMRS application has been approved and call sign given out then the members within the licensee's household can also participate under the same license and call sign. You can't do that with HAM. We can freely chat with our family (kids too) and if we're out hunting or fishing with our buddies and they aren't licensed, then no problem. Just throw them an FRS radio and they can chat with you on some of the GMRS channels. No complications!!! And the best part is the equipment is very inexpensive. Of course, as with any other hobby, you can invest as much money as you wish into it. So there's your answer. Honestly the only thing the GMRS license does for you is allow you to talk on a radio with higher wattage and be able to use repeaters. I believe that GMRS fits a niche for those of us that don't want the complications of HAM.
Ham is neither an acronym or initialization. No need to capitalize.

GMRS compared to ham radio? Apples and oranges. Wait, make that apples and hand grenades.

Ham is neither an acronym or initialization. No need to capitalize.

GMRS compared to ham radio? Apples and oranges. Wait, make that apples and hand grenades.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how HAPPY are you? You don't sound happy. Look at you... wandering around an internet forum correcting people's spelling and making disgruntled comments. How about some positive feedback? People might like you a little better. Are you a HAM operator?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how HAPPY are you? You don't sound happy. Look at you... wandering around an internet forum correcting people's spelling and making disgruntled comments. How about some positive feedback? People might like you a little better. Are you a HAM operator?
No, I’m a licensed ham radio operator.

Not really sure how this turned into a ham radio bashing conversation though. There is no comparison between GMRS and ham radio - again, apples and hand grenades. The attached band plan shows where hams can operate, with sufficient privileges of course.

GMRS is limited to line of sight, low power UHF FM radios. Hams have an entire tool box of different digital modes, CW, AM, SSB, SSTV, etc. throughout the frequency spectrum. Ham radio also goes well with camping. The attached photo is my portable setup outside of the motorhome, literally working the world.

Attachments

• Band_Chart.JPG
    Band_Chart.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 4
  • RV_Shack.JPG
    RV_Shack.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Getting back to the original post … it‘s about what you want to do … I have no interest in dissing the Ham community… I have a technician license and wanted to use UHF and VHF to communicate with others. I found the UHF/VHF bands are not frequently used by other Ham operators, typically, they are on the longer range bands because that’s what they want to do. Also, you have to have a license to operate the radio. This leaves many I wanted to communicate with on the outside. That said, There are very important UHF/VHF nets that licensed operators organize for emergency use. it’s an important capability the FCC oversees and protects. It’s just not what I needed.
I wanted a means to communicate with those in my general vicinity. We use it on family trips, convoys of RVs, and keeping in touch while camping. The 2 meter radio just didn’t do that. I found active groups using their GMRS radios with repeaters and it’s being adopted by other groups like Jeep clubs. Clear, simple, channelized communications provided by off the shelf technology with the inclusive advantage of letting my wife use it too. That’s what I wanted and GMSR fills the need.

I'm with Doc here. I've got a CB installed in the Jeep for rides with others, but I've also got a set of the GMRS hand-held radios if they're needed.

I've recently noticed an increase in the number of GMRS repeaters from Washington to California. I've also noticed what looks like a renewed interest in the 1.25 meter band. I have dual and tri- band HTs that I've used for off roading so have loaded the GMRS frequencies and started to monitor when stopped at a campsite. So far, no GMRS activity to report from the Oergon coast, only a 2 meter net I found.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom