Golf balls in tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

I thought this was a joke.  I was ordering new tires when he asked about balancing. He said he has three ways to balance the tires. first was the metal weights you put on the rims . second was the powder you put inside the tires . Both are common. Then came the third. putting golf balls inside the tires. I will say again putting golf balls inside the tire. After i stopped laughing and seen he was not laughing I had to hear this. At 15 mph the golf balls will find the high spots in the tires and stay there no matter how fast you go . 2 or 3 balls on steer and 3 or 4 on drive . I may have that backwards. I was waiting for Allen funk to come out and say smile your on candid camera. One other bonus with the balls. every time you drive your mh your wheels will realigned there self's. Has any one heard of this ?
Thanks jiggs

Never heard of it but I suppose it could work. I'ts the same principle as the powder or various other granular or bead substances placed inside the tires.  Seems like golf balls might be a bit noisy when starting up or slowing down, but after that...?

I would buy the stuff that's made to go in tires - it isn't that expensive. I like Dyna Beads

Never heard of the beads and it looks interesting. Anyreason why the tire places don't offer these? First thought is they can make more money the other way, but some place could use it as a marketing tool. Sometimes I live under a rock as well as the woods:)

Any place that sells truck tires should have Equal (or the similar products) available as an alternative to spin balancing.  We've use Equal in our motorhome tires for years and have never had a balance problem.  The cost is about the same as spin balancing.

Ned,
Do they put the Equal in through the valve stem or do they need to dismount the tire?

It can be put in through the valve stem, but it's much easier to do when mounting the tire.  It comes in a bag that is put in the tire and disintegrates when the tire is first moved.  Also, the valves should be changed to ones with a filter to keep the Equal from plugging it up.  See http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/tire-balancing.aspx for the details on Equal.

The use of golf balls in truck tires for balancing is fairly common here in northeast Texas. I would prefer something made specifically for the job, but maybe the gold balls are cheaper.

I talked to some truck drivers and the use of golf balls are fairly common. Do to the thickness of the tires you can't hear any noise from the balls. I am not saying any thing bad about the idea of golf balls in tires. But I don't know if I would feel comfortable with that idea.. I think powder is my way to go.
PS.  Who thought of the idea of golf balls in tires ? could it be some genus  or did some one come up with it after way too many beers and did not want the wife to know he went golfing

Golf balls in the tires...never boring on this forum!  About Equal, if you pick up a nail in the tire can you patch it or plug it without a mess?  They sell a balancing goo of some sort for motorcycles but forget patching or plugging in the event of a flat.  Is it the same with Equal?

I don't see any problem using a plug patch with Equal installed.  However I wouldn't use a plug to patch a leak with or without Equal.

Back
Top Bottom