Golf Cart Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Zeiter

Battery discussions here and other sites have led me to believe I'd like to switch from four 6 volt batteries to 2 larger 6 volt batteries. I'm not really happy with 4 batteries (2 series pairs connected in parallel). I kept seeing "golf cart batteries" being mentioned. Today I measured my battery tray (2000 Dutchstar, 38'). The tray is approximately 21" wide and 15" deep with about 11" top clearance.
My problem is that the golf cart batteries I've found (Trojan T145, Crown 225) are about the same size as I already have. I thought I could get bigger batteries (two 10x14 or two 20x7).  Is there a solution? What can I do to "fill up my battery tray" but, have only two 6 volt batteries?
Dick Zeiter
Toledo

Dick,

I'm not sure why you don't like a series/parallel configuration. Many people have them with both 6V and 12V batteries. The T-145's are probably too tall for your tray (11 5/8"), but the T-125's might work. I'm assuming you can slide out the tray for checking water levels. If not, you're better off with 12V AGM's where you don't have to check levels. Trojan does make 12V flooded cell deep cycle batteries (T-1275's) that would fill your tray more, but you aren't any better off; even worse. At 150AH (20 hr. rate) three in parallel would give you 450AH. Four T-125's in series/parallel would give you 480AH. Batteries of a higher capacity than either the T-125's or the T-145's would almost surely be way too tall for your compartment.

I guess what upsets me is that there is not a "higher level" of capacity that I can attain. Did not realize that I already had the best setup possible for my situation.
Dick Zeiter

Dick,

I'll look and see if I can find the picture of what Mike Garner did with his Dutch Star.  I believe he went to 2 AGM 8D batteries laid on their side.  If not see if you can contact either he or Tom Fisher on yahoo, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newmarowners/ and get the scoop from the culprits!  VBG

Dick Zeiter said:
I guess what upsets me is that there is not a "higher level" of capacity that I can attain. Did not realize that I already had the best setup possible for my situation.
Dick Zeiter

Dick, I know a company in Brighton, MI, (If you search on "Battery" and "Brighton, MI" you might find them but I can't be sure)

There are 4 questions.  How much capacity do you want, How much space can you make to put it, How much tonnage can you carry and how much money do you have.

You want a thousand AH in a single 12v battery... They can do it

You want two thousand... They can do it

They rebuild batteries for fork lift trucks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom