Good Sam Roadside Assist and Travel Assist or AAA Premier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richclover

I've read, here and another forum, about difficulties getting service from both AAA and GS.  Or no service from one and good service from the other, depending on location.

I've been a AAA member since 1968 and have used their service a few times with no problems.

Both GS service accounts came with the purchase of our new TT last April from a GS Camping World dealer.  Renewal notices are showing up. 

With a lot of road miles planned this summer I'm inclined to keep it all in force.

Thoughts?

richclover said:
I've read, here and another forum, about difficulties getting service from both AAA and GS.  Or no service from one and good service from the other, depending on location.

I've been a AAA member since 1968 and have used their service a few times with no problems.

Both GS service accounts came with the purchase of our new TT last April from a GS Camping World dealer.  Renewal notices are showing up. 

With a lot of road miles planned this summer I'm inclined to keep it all in force.

Thoughts?
I need mine to work in areas where there is no cell service, so I use the  Spot Messenger Road Service.
I have used it on unpaved roads, in the middle of nowhere,  with  motorcycles as well as in Canada with my RV and several other places with various vehicles over the years. While it always works, how long it takes for them to get to you varies greatly. But that is true with any towing service.  Another nice thing is they know exactly  where you're at as they receive the map showing your exact location.

Sometimes it depends on luck how fast a tow service can get to you for the area you're in. It's always best to have a cop, when possible, to call for the road service for you as they usually get top priority, even if they have to call AAA for you.

BTW, I also have AAA as they will tow me 200 miles. IIRC, the Spot will tow  free for only 50 miles. I can use both together for 250 miles.

I am often far from any main roads, and in many places (such as eastern NV) there is no cell service far from the freeway.  And I use V. W/L which has the best range of all, but still not good enough for me.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Though not a fan boy of AARP their Hartford insurance has both roadside service as well a guaranteed towing to the nearest QUALIFIED repair facility

So maybe an insurance jump is in order

I drive a 2006 newmar 38' ...I CANNOT attest to this service as in 30 years of RVing I have never had to use either feature ..maybe there are others on here who can enlighten us on their real life experience with the Hartford Emergency service

Bear

James Wilson said:
Though not a fan boy of AARP their Hartford insurance has both roadside service as well a guaranteed towing to the nearest QUALIFIED repair facility
Is there a mile limit?  Be sure to read the fine print. Many claim "to the nearest" and the fine print says something like "up to 25 miles".
-Don-  Auburn, CA

Keep reading here about roadside assistance, and you'll see most folks choose Coach-net ... their people that answer the phone are RV techs, and there are many instances of them being able to fix someone's problem over the phone. Of course if it's a blown tire or something that obviously needs towing, they also seem to be experts at finding/providing roadside repairs or towing to qualified shops. I'd suggest you check them out before renewing with Good Sam.

scottydl said:
Keep reading here about roadside assistance, and you'll see most folks choose Coach-net ... their people that answer the phone are RV techs, and there are many instances of them being able to fix someone's problem over the phone. Of course if it's a blown tire or something that obviously needs towing, they also seem to be experts at finding/providing roadside repairs or towing to qualified shops. I'd suggest you check them out before renewing with Good Sam.
What do you guys do when you break down out of range of cell service?

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Utclmjmpr said:
Like any thing else when your out of range,,,,take two steps and PUNT>>>Dan  ( Coach Net for 16 years)
Mine is never out of range, only needs sky.

I assume there have been some here who have broken down out of cell range and I wonder how they got help.

I would not leave home without my satellite communications stuff.

I also have two way communications from anywhere with my inReach. With it, I can send a text message to any cellphone number, an e-mail account or another inReach unit. And can receive from such also.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

DonTom said:
What do you guys do when you break down out of range of cell service?

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Dial 911.  Found out ALL carriers have to monitor and relay a 911 call.  We were with a group of people on the California coast and had an emergency. Between us we had four different cell phone service companies, non of which showed any coverage. 

I decided to dial 911 just for the heck of it and it got answered and help was sent.

Researched it later and found out there are a lot of small carriers privately owned by logging and mining companies, etc for their own use but they have to monitor all 911 calls.  So if you have a problem dial 911 even if your phone says you don't have coverage with your carrier.

richclover...I have AAA premium and used it several times. 

They even towed me 70 miles to a dealer in Fresno one time.  I highly recommend AAA coverage. 

I have my houses, cars and RV covered by them.  They don't try to nickle and dime you on repairs...they do it right.

Arch, thank you very much for that very informative post.  I knew there were many smaller carriers but not that they are required to monitor 911 calls.  VERY useful information for RVers who often are out of cell service range!!

I understand that you also can use text messaging to ask for help.  Text messages supposedly go out differently and are less sophisticated so use different transmittal paths.  I don't know if this is true, so if anyone can verify I'd like to know.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I understand that you also can use text messaging to ask for help.  Text messages supposedly go out differently and are less sophisticated so use different transmittal paths.  I don't know if this is true, so if anyone can verify I'd like to know.

ArdraF

I think you still need a signal...But just for a second or two to send/rec.

Arch Hoagland said:
Dial 911.  Found out ALL carriers have to monitor and relay a 911 call.  We were with a group of people on the California coast and had an emergency. Between us we had four different cell phone service companies, non of which showed any coverage. 

I decided to dial 911 just for the heck of it and it got answered and help was sent.

Researched it later and found out there are a lot of small carriers privately owned by logging and mining companies, etc for their own use but they have to monitor all 911 calls.  So if you have a problem dial 911 even if your phone says you don't have coverage with your carrier.
That is very good info to know, but I doubt if such  will always be within range.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Travel Assist is a different animal than Roadside & Premier. Choose that or not based on your needs.

As for choosing GS or AAA Premier RV, I think it's a toss up.  Ditto for Coach Net.  The basic drawback to AAA is that it is a collage of state-by-state plans and sometimes the hand-off from your state association tot the one where you break down does not work all that well. But barring that, it's fine. The main thing is to compare the coverages to make sure it meets your needs.

Regardless of whose plan you have, when you breakdown in West Podunk on Sunday evening, you are going to get actual service from the  shops and tow services in the West Podunk area. They are all going to send the tow truck or tire guy who does business there, or tow you to the shop down the road a piece.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Travel Assist is a different animal than Roadside & Premier. Choose that or not based on your needs.

As for choosing GS or AAA Premier RV, I think it's a toss up.  Ditto for Coach Net.  The basic drawback to AAA is that it is a collage of state-by-state plans and sometimes the hand-off from your state association tot the one where you break down does not work all that well. But barring that, it's fine. The main thing is to compare the coverages to make sure it meets your needs.

Regardless of whose plan you have, when you breakdown in West Podunk on Sunday evening, you are going to get actual service from the  shops and tow services in the West Podunk area. They are all going to send the tow truck or tire guy who does business there, or tow you to the shop down the road a piece.

Thanks Gary and All!

LOTS of good info has been posted!  LOTS to consider.

I like what Travel Assist has to offer over and above roadside service including RV and pets returned home, among others.  Roadside assist is supposedly unlimited miles to nearest service facility.  My AAA is limited to 200 miles.

Since I'm a GS Elite member the total discount for the two GS plans totals $100. 

I'll be "Considering"!

Thanks again, Everyone, for the good discussion!

I have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance Platinum package and have been very happy with it. They have dispatched help to use multiple times, sometimes for lock-outs, sometimes for a dead battery and once for towing, and that includes both autos and RVs. They have unlimited towing to a qualified service location, they will re-tow you if, after being initially towed, the shop can not service your RV, they have an RV help line with techs to help solve problems, the package includes tire damage coverage and match pretty much all of the Coach-Net offerings, and at a reduced price.

I have never had a problem with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom