Good Sam Roadside Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigmau

I was looking about getting their coverage, however after reading the reviews, real horror stories, I decided to hold.
Anyone out there have had a bad or good experience with them? Curious to know...

I have  had nothing but good luck with Good Sam. However, I read the contract and know what to expect. It seems to me that those most  dissatisfied with Good Sam do not read the contract and UNDERSTAND it or are impatient  d do not want to wait for service..

AAA is n o good in certain areas and in fact is not offered in New York State as well  as other states. AAA is a conglomeration of independent clubs under the AAA banner. You will get service anywhere in the country if your area offers RV roadside but if you are in non RV areas the service may be a little less reliable. The local club will not have an extensive list of providers

Good Sam's roadside assistance plan is currently provided by Allstate Motor Club. Their contract was due to expire this year, but as in the past, they may have negotiated another extension.

It's all in the fine print. You want to make sure there aren't unrealistic limits in the # of miles towed, or the # of dollars covered. RV roadside assistance can & will quickly exceed the standard "auto" rates.

Good Sam / Allstate and AAA might be fine, but I have never read a bad report about Coach-Net. They have RV-knowledgeable folks answering the phone, and have been able to solve many roadside problems over the phone (from accounts I have read here).

I've had decent luck with them 2 out of 3 tries in the three years I've had them. The only time I had a problem was in S. Carolina on a Sunday and they said they couldn't get anyone to look at my rig until Monday morning. But any roadside assistance plan you get is going to contract out to local people and in some parts of the country, they simply may not have the manpower needed to meet their needs.

I mostly agree with darsben - many of the complaints are simply expectations beyond what the contract provides. And more of them are simply a matter of location & timing - you may have a long wait or limited services if your breakdown is on Sunday afternoon in West Goober. You don't always get immediate help when the local mobile services are busy with other callers.

That said, GS is a lower-priced service than Coach Net and seems to take a more strict approach to what they do or don't do. Read their contract vs Coach Net and see what you are willing to pay for. Neither, though, is ideal.

AAA is a bit more spotty because it's a federation of loosely related clubs rather than a uniform service, but many people are happy with their RV coverage.  I would not choose it if I traveled nationwide, but it's probably as good as any if your travel is mostly in one region.

I hear you can join the Allstate Motor Club directly rather than contracting through GS or an insurer.  I don't know anything about it, though.https://www.allstate.com/roadside-assistance/membership-plans.aspx

If you are an FMCA member, they offer a roadside assist plan as well.

I've had Good Sam Roadside Assistance since 2006. I have used it three times. Once was a Sunday when the brakes on my MH failed. By mutual agreement, we waited until Monday for a tow to a mechanic who could do the repairs. All went smoothly, and the service was great. The second time, I ran the battery down on my car. Called GSRA, someone was there in 30 minutes and jump started the car. Again, courteous professional service. The third time was when my Ford V10 spit out a spark plug on New Year's Day when there was snow on the ground on the Oregon coast. GSRA could not locate an available, contracted towing company. They helped me find a local towing company, whom I paid out of pocket. GSRA reimbursed me in a timely fashion.

It is important with any insurance of this kind to know what is and isn't covered and then to have realistic expectations. They might not be there in 15 minutes if a) you are not near one of their contract towing agents, or b) the weather is such that the agents are scrambling to keep up with high demand. If you break down in Atlanta, and your favorite mechanic is in Chicago, don't expect to be towed to Chi-town. Most contracts say they will tow you to the nearest facility that has the ability to effect repairs. In my experience, GSRA has lived up to their policy whenever I have needed them.

I see several recommendations for Coach Net here, but they have their share of problem situations as well. I recall one Saturday several years ago when our coach wouldn't start or even turn over.  CN wanted to tow me to a shop an hour away but the truck would not come until Monday. The reason for the delay? The shops fenced in lot would not be open until 7 a.m. Monday and they did not want to leave the coach outside the locked gates.  Nor was there a campground nearby we could use.  I declined.

We were already in a campground where we were, so I asked about local mechanics and found a guy willing to come out Monday a.m. He found a loose wire on the transmission control module and got us up & running in 30 minutes. I paid him $200 out of my pocket (including a $50 tip) and went happily on our way.

We have GS RA among other GS services.  Used the RA on our first 1000 mile trip for a rear, inside dual blowout.  We had a rest area within a mile, parked there, called the GS RA and a service truck was there inside of 30 min.  Used our spare and we were on our way in less than an hour. Guy was very accomodating and service-minded.  This was on a Sunday afternoon.  I tipped the guy a 20 and we were on our way.
No complaints about their RA at all.

Back
Top Bottom