GOOD SAM Roadside Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldude

I have heard no derrogitory comments about Good Sam other than the amount of "junk-mail" generated thru membership
Anyone else have comments GOOD BAD or INDIFFERENT about Good Sam?
Their overall coveraage seems to be comparable to Coachnet but less cost....am I reading this right?

It's been quite a few years since we had Good Sam ERS and probably 19 years since we had to use them. I was very pleased with the one time I needed them. At that time U-Haul used to have a rental fleet of Fleetwood Class A motorhomes and had their own service/repair crews. Good Sam contracted with U-Haul to provide ERS in some locations and they happened to be nearest to me at the time I needed help. I was pleased with both Good Sam acting as a call center and U-Haul's response.

It took cancelling Good Sam membership and at least another 5 years in addition to a house move to get rid of the constant junk mail. I've had Coach Net for two years and have received zero junk mail from them. When we bought our current coach, Good Sam somehow got our new address (I assumed from either from the DMV or the dealer, but maybe it was our first Camping World purchase or our first renewal of President's Club in x years) and guess what.

I have heard no derrogitory comments about Good Sam other than the amount of "junk-mail" generated thru membership

We had the GS road service till we actually needed service.  One time was enough for us.  Guess they are ok if you have several hours to wait for them to get their act together and a lot of cell minutes so they can keep calling to ask you the same exact questions over and over.  Took them over 5 hours to get service to us and we were less than 30 miles from Houston.  No I haven't got anything good to say about GS road service based on the one and only time we used them.  Go with Coachnet.  If the need comes up you will be glad you did.

Oldude said:
Anyone else have comments GOOD BAD or INDIFFERENT about Good Sam?
Their overall coveraage seems to be comparable to Coachnet but less cost....am I reading this right?

Summer 2004 we took our new (to us) Tradewinds over to the coast of WA for a FMCA chapter rally. Pulled up in front of the campground office at 3:30PM and shut down to register. When I came out a few minutes later the starter circuit was dead!

Called GS ERS who said they would get someone there within the hour. Told them it was not a problem (BIG MISTAKE) and went to a happy hour/crab feed and didn't worry about it until 6:00PM or so-called GS who said they would follow up on it. By now the campground's driveway is a mess with everyone trying to register.

8:00PM-called GS who said the truck was on the way.

9:00PM called GS who said the driver was lost. Wife put out the bedroom slide and went to bed in driveway, I opened another bottle of wine.

At 11:00PM when the tow truck arrived I was sitting around the picnic table by myself finishing the wine. The driver jumped the starter solenoid and I pulled into our space and went to bed.

We were in Westport, WA, 20 miles west of Aberdeen and 55 miles west Olympia. Both have large RV tow facilities. Seems GS had a less expensive tow truck in Longview, WA 110 miles away down next to the Columbia River and Oregon. Truck went to Westport OREGON looking for us!

Sure glad we were not out on the side of highway somewhere waiting on GS.

We are now very satisfied Coach Net customers. :)

Well OlDude, I can't compare GS to anything else because I've never had GS' ERS and have only ever had CoachNet's ERS.

I've used CoachNet's ERS in the States for real help and simply for advice as to where to go to attend to a problem that was brewing.  And I've used CoachNet in Canada, in the mountains of southern BC, that involved a long tow.

I'm not even bothering to check on how much cheaper GS might be than CoachNet.

I seem to recall my old man telling me that the cheapest might be the dearest in the long run.

Ciao,

Doug

I seem to recall my old man telling me that the cheapest might be the dearest in the long run.

That is good advise.  When we has GS ERS and had a problem we ended up with cell phone charges with all their calls that exceeded the cost of the road service policy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom