Goodyear Endurance Tire Reviews anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charles,
I have a similar question regarding ST vs LT tires. We own a 2019 Keystone Outback 328RL which was delivered with 225/75R15 ST tires. The trailer GVWR is 10,500# and the trailer has Dexter 5200#, 6-lug axles from Keystone.
We plan to haul the trailer to South Dakota from Boise in June and I wanted to upgrade the wheels & tires to 16". The problem is I can't increase the tire diameter by 2.5" (235/80R16 ST) because of clearance issues with the tandem axle spacing. There is a commercial grade LT tire sized in LT225/75R16 which will work. The load rating for the LT tire is 121/120 (3195#S, 3085#D) which is better than the ST225/75R15 load rating but no tire manufacturer will say that it's OK to use their LT tires for trailer service due to liability issues.

Is it safe to run the LT 16" tire in place of the 15" ST tire?

I have emails from most tire mfg and they all recommend LT tire if they meet the trailers axle load requirements. Hell before ST tires were made all we had for our trailers were 15"/16" light truck tires for heavier trailers and 12"/13"/14"/15" passenger tires for light weight trailers.
Where the liability comes to play in replacing a ST tire with a LT tire is size for size the LT don't have enough capacity ie; say a ST 235/85-16 E at 3640 lbs capacity vs a LT 235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs capacity.
There are no regs or laws that say LT tires can't be used on a trailer.

The Goodyears Endurance is a great tire for RV trailer use for most rv folks . With only 8/32" of tread leaves only 1/4" of rubber to wear before replacement time which eliminates them for serious commercial trailer use. We expect 40k-60k miles per set with sometimes two sets a year. Some haulers easilly run 100k miles in a years time. RV folks trailer time out long before wearing a set of tires out.

Michelin XPS Ribs and Bridgestone R-238 in a LT235/85-16 " are both a all steel carcass commercial grade tire and both are recommended for trailers with 5.2k and 6k axles.

For 7k-8k axles the S637 Sailuns 16" load G at 110 psi and 4080 or 4408 lbs capacity are at the top of the heap for RV and commercial haulers trailers.

My 5er came from the factory with LT tires. LT 225/75 R 16. With the LT tires you also get a higher speed rating
I put a set of GY Endurance tires on my last bumper pull camper and did a 5000 mile road trip. Load range E, speed rated to 87 mph. Plenty of tire for the load, no problems.

I’ll do one more trip with the factory tires on my year-old 5’er then replace with Endurance.

Charles,
I have a similar question regarding ST vs LT tires. We own a 2019 Keystone Outback 328RL which was delivered with 225/75R15 ST tires. The trailer GVWR is 10,500# and the trailer has Dexter 5200#, 6-lug axles from Keystone.
We plan to haul the trailer to South Dakota from Boise in June and I wanted to upgrade the wheels & tires to 16". The problem is I can't increase the tire diameter by 2.5" (235/80R16 ST) because of clearance issues with the tandem axle spacing. There is a commercial grade LT tire sized in LT225/75R16 which will work. The load rating for the LT tire is 121/120 (3195#S, 3085#D) which is better than the ST225/75R15 load rating but no tire manufacturer will say that it's OK to use their LT tires for trailer service due to liability issues.

Is it safe to run the LT 16" tire in place of the 15" ST tire?
Missed this, dropped completely off my radar. If the LT has a weight rating as good or higher than the ST I cannot see the problem. The LT225/75R16 if, If I recall, an extremely popular motorhome tire size, virtually every class C has these. This is the tire that Airstream installs as an option from the factory, and several other trailer mfg's have started doing this also, especially fifth wheel units. Some tire stores, esp chain places are funny about this and may refuse to install them, noting that they are not intended for a trailer. Lots of people run them however. Just make sure than they will fit, you are looking at a lot of expense to upgrade wheels and tires. You are putting on a tire that is one inch larger in diameter so the two tires will move together a full inch (half inch per tire). My trailer has tires so close together that its impossible. I have less than two inches now. Typical leaf spring installations have shackles at the equalizer so as the leaves of the spring flatten out, the two axles tend to move closer to one another.

Charles

I was talking to my tire guy and while he had endurance in the warehouse,I think he said they are being replaced by a new model.

There is also an Endurance truck tire (medium duty or more) and this may be the case, but the current Endurance ST tire is a relatively new product to replace the Marathon (junk) and I cannot see them replacing what is becoming a very popular tire right now. Anythings possible however.

Charles

I went with Nexen Roadian CT8 HL tires in LT225/75R16 121/120 load range mounted to Pinnacle 16"x6" 6lug wheels from TredIt Tire & Wheel.

Attachments

• GFCG 76.jpg
    GFCG 76.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
There is also an Endurance truck tire (medium duty or more) and this may be the case, but the current Endurance ST tire is a relatively new product to replace the Marathon (junk) and I cannot see them replacing what is becoming a very popular tire right now. Anythings possible however.

Charles
Ah. Thanks

I have had them on three TTs so far. I have not had a problem with them. I put the D rated tires on factory C rated campers and had no problems with the sidewalls distorting in hard turns. This is not the case with the China bombs. In the middle of the summertime when driving on the interstates in the south, the air pressure will increase over ten pounds in some cases. So keep tabs on your tire pressure when doing week long trips for sure. There has been many reports of the China tires blowing apart and tearing up some of the wheel wells and camper sides in the process.
Been there had to replace fender and skirting
Two blowouts same trip

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom