Got an office job in San Francisco - daytime parking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

housedhs

Hey hey,

Been boondocking with pleasure around the Bay Area since early June. Have a 2001 Kodiak motorhome, about 22' long.

Just got a good paying office job. It's downtown, south of market. Starts Tuesday.

I need steady daytime parking for the RV while I'm at work. I am willing to pay for it.

I have a dog too, but I'll sort out her daycare based on where I park the RV.

I placed an ad on Craigslist inquiring about renting space from someone. Nothing back yet.

I also spoke to a parking broker, but there wasn't a fit there.

Worst case, I can moochdock in front of a friend's house. But they live far up in the Berkeley hills, a long walk from public transportation.

Does anyone suggest anything?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Park at the friend's place and get a motor scooter to commute?

I have no knowledge of what the traffic is like but only see it on TV.  There's no way I would drive a small scooter in that traffic. Maybe it's not that bad.

I have an office at 201 Spear, parking is at a premium
See if you can talk to someone from some of the old piers...there really isn't a house designed to fit an RV but yours is short. I will call around to see, I have an apartment complex w a couple of garages how tall is your RV?
If your going to commute which may be easier to find space I would avoid the bridges outskirts of San Fran maybe easier to find space like South San Fran (101) or Daly City Westborough there the houses have RV storage...and use a scooter to go to the city.

I don't know where you plan to overnight/boondock but, depending on the location, an alternative to motor scooter might be BART. and you might be able to park in their lot during the day (not sure of space sizes) There's a BART station in Daly City.

Good idea if he wakes up really early to take Bart...usually their lot is filled up. This is why I don't take bart..if you park at your friends house in Berkeley hills , can you get to like there is a free rideshare I think on Broadway where you can be a carpool
participant and get a ride to San Fran

Aye Will, that's an issue with even the newest BART parking lots. I drove past the Daly City BART station en route to the Olympic Club, but that was some years ago, and I wasn't paying attention to space in their lot.

Congratulations on the new job!!  I always thought it would be fun to live and work downtown in San Francisco for a year or so. Interesting city.

Is there an RV repair place near there?  Go to it and tell them you want to get something repaired but have to stay in it while waiting for them to work on it.

That should be good for two months based on all the slow RV repair places in the country....lol

Thanks for any checking around you can do.

Truthfully I don't have exact measurement for the height. Using a tape measure it's right at 10'.

And when you mention piers, you're talking about near the Embarcadero? I have until Tuesday, so there is time to check on that. Can you be any more specific?

Willandgiselarv said:
I have an office at 201 Spear, parking is at a premium
See if you can talk to someone from some of the old piers...there really isn't a house designed to fit an RV but yours is short. I will call around to see, I have an apartment complex w a couple of garages how tall is your RV?
If your going to commute which may be easier to find space I would avoid the bridges outskirts of San Fran maybe easier to find space like South San Fran (101) or Daly City Westborough there the houses have RV storage...and use a scooter to go to the city.

The South embarcadero going through piers 48 to 50,
You know ATT park and berry st bridge , when you cross that bridge there will be a left turn along the water front, in fact across from pier 48 there is a big lot. Keep going down that street there will be a few more piers w parking, see if you can SPEAK to someone and make a deal for parking during the days...10ft ...huh I have the model T garages...and I will measure, I'll be in SF next week.
So I have to ask where you park normally right now it may be easier to figure out a commute for you.
Another though I have is on 3rd st, there is a lot of warehouses with parking and some of them rent day rooms w parking they may be willing...3rd st going towards south not north towards downtown.

Ok so another one for you is look at Folsom, Harrison Howard st for those car shops that have spaces or even the gas stations see if you can make a deal..look for parking tell them it will be a regular deal just for day parking....there was a point that I had to pay for parking also and couldn't afford 18 dollars for every 20 minutes parking.

I park around Franklin or Gough and Bush/Sutter/Pine, but strictly at night. During the days it's either a day trip out of SF, the beach, or friends' places in the East Bay.

Willandgiselarv said:
The South embarcadero going through piers 48 to 50,
You know ATT park and berry st bridge , when you cross that bridge there will be a left turn along the water front, in fact across from pier 48 there is a big lot. Keep going down that street there will be a few more piers w parking, see if you can SPEAK to someone and make a deal for parking during the days...10ft ...huh I have the model T garages...and I will measure, I'll be in SF next week.
So I have to ask where you park normally right now it may be easier to figure out a commute for you.
Another though I have is on 3rd st, there is a lot of warehouses with parking and some of them rent day rooms w parking they may be willing...3rd st going towards south not north towards downtown.

It's not cheap, but Treasure Island RV Park in South San Francisco is a block or so from the BART station.  You could leave your RV in the secure park and take BART into the City.

I did just that when I worked in SF about 10 years ago.

Investigated the piers along Embarcadero this evening. Nobody working on a Saturday night, but one sign said 75 per day. That's too much.

Found three outdoor lots, all of which look to be within walking distance. One is Bryant and Embarcadero. A couple more were off Broadway and Embarcadero. These look to be around 15-18 daily.

Also noticed one around 13th and Mission with an actual RV parked there in sight. That would require a bus ride on to work, but okay. It's also right near a doggie daycare, so maybe I could drop my girl off after parking and then jump on the bus.

If I were totally solo, the Treasure Island park would strongly appeal to me. But I have to incorporate in the doggie daycare. Actually maybe I should investigate doggie daycare down in that area too.

Living in an RV with pets can be a hassle. Years ago I had a TT and had a dog. After a little while I got to know my neighbors and found a retired couple who loved animals. He loved walking my dog every day while I was at work.Perhaps you could do a recon in that park and set something up. I would think keeping the RV in one spot every day would be a lot more pleasant than moving around each day..Good Luck!

So, the big question is, what did you end up doing?  SF is one of the worst areas to find RV parking!

ArdraF

Bumping up this thread.

Hope it all worked out for the original poster.  I have never  been  to the west coast,  interesting.

Back
Top Bottom