Got T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best/worst argument I ever witnessed was when a lady was guiding her husband back out of a site and the right side of their brand new Prevost ended up in the ditch.  Both driver's and tag wheels hanging in the air and the back bumper flat on the ground.
The nearest tow truck big enough to get him out was over 100 miles away.  Was an interesting couple of hours.

Ah yes the backing in conversation:

Keep backing up

Are you sure its clear?

Yes, don't ask me to get out here and look if you don't trust my judgement!

Crunch!!!

Don't you love it when the CG sends someone to back you in, or worse, to direct you into a pull through?  I just arrived here, backed in, the helper had been delayed and patience is not always one of my virtues,  He told me I shouldn't have, had me pull forward and move over about 6".  OK he wins, it must have been horrible.

My camera and my wife are all I want.

LOL - love the shirt!

I have one friend who means well by helping me backup but he basically just gives me the "keep backing up" hand signal. He'll stop me from hitting anything but when he's done I'm usually too close to the post, at a 20 degree angle in the site, and 50' from the sewer outlet.  :eek: I do my best to get there first when we're camping together! ;D

I don?t want anyone helping me back in. I get out and look at the site, where the table is, the electric, water and sewer. And then I picture where the drivers side tire on the trailer should be. Before anybody says ?But you have a little bitty TT?, I used to have a 37? triple axle 5th wheel. It was easier to back in than my current little one. My wife sits at the picnic table while I?m backing in.

Oldgator73 said:
I used to have a 37? triple axle 5th wheel. It was easier to back in than my current little one.

I was excellent with the TT. After 3 years with the 5th wheel I would rate myself "ok" - I tend to correct the initial turn too late! And if you saw me back up my little utility cart hooked up to my lawn tractor you'd think I was drunk!

I would put the rear driver side tire of the 5th wheel at the junction of the road and the entrance to the spot and crank the steering wheel. Went straight in every time. I have a dump trailer I use to haul dirt, mulch, rocks, whatever I need around the yard. Can?t see it behind the truck so it?s a bitch to back up.

Oldgator73 said:
I don?t want anyone helping me back in. I get out and look at the site, where the table is, the electric, water and sewer. And then I picture where the drivers side tire on the trailer should be. Before anybody says ?But you have a little bitty TT?, I used to have a 37? triple axle 5th wheel. It was easier to back in than my current little one. My wife sits at the picnic table while I?m backing in.

AMEN

Great T shirt too.  I once told my wife I was going to take a Sharpie Marker and write Lest and Right on her shoes.  That did not set a great tone for that evening  :eek:

Now I just tell her to make sure kids don't come zipping behind me, I got the backing up under control.

Found something like this a couple of years back, printed on throw pillows. We bought a couple of them, and they are great gifts to other RV friends.

That is so true! I use to pride myself on helping guide the backup. One time I asked a question like "why did you do that, I was signaling the other way?" Response was that he didn't usually see me since I wasn't in the right spot most of the time anyway but he respected me wanting to help. He is an ace+ on backing in, so I just stand by the back & watch "just in case". I make sure I can see him in the mirror so he can see me. It wouldn't matter if I tried to yell something at him, between the back up alarm & the engine, it loud.
Love the shirt!

Don't you love it when the CG sends someone to back you in, or worse, to direct you into a pull through? I just arrived here, backed in, the helper had been delayed and patience is not always one of my virtues, He told me I shouldn't have, had me pull forward and move over about 6". OK he wins, it must have been horrible.

My camera and my wife are all I want.
I would have waited till he was long gone and moved it back just to see if he noticed.

I have no problem with the campground sending someone to help me back, in or even pull thru. Never had a problem, always nice people, and sometimes it was faster. Once we were camped at Upriver RV Resort in Ft. Myers and they moved us from a pull-thru to a back-in that was very tight on a narrow road. Backed me in perfect on one try.

My wife and I learned long ago, hand signals don't work, radios don't work and trying to help leads to less than pleasant dinner conversations. What we did find that what works is one of those portable marine horns, you know the ones that used to be filled with freon that will make your ears bleed if you push the button inside the storage unit (that only took one lesson by the way). Her job is simply to stand outside somewhere nearby and watch. If I'm about to hit something expensive (mine or theirs) she simply hits the button on that obnoxious horn. I don't ask "why", I just G.O.A.L. (Get Out And Look!) then adjust accordingly. I don't break things and we don't fight, nice and simple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom