GPS Antenna(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's true, Dutch, and it's extremely accurate, just as the regular WWV broadcasts are very accurate, but the advertising seems (to me at least) to imply that the device you buy is an atomic clock, rather than just being fed by a signal derived from one, even though that's not possible for most of those devices, especially a consumer device.
I agree, Larry, the naming is a bit misleading. Given the source of the time signal is an atomic clock, I guess it doesn't quite reach the level of false advertising, but it is a stretch.

That's true, Dutch, and it's extremely accurate, just as the regular WWV broadcasts are very accurate, but the advertising seems (to me at least) to imply that the device you buy is an atomic clock, rather than just being fed by a signal derived from one, even though that's not possible for most of those devices, especially a consumer device.
I knew it wasn't really atomic, that's why the quotes around the word the first time I mentioned it. I also knew the signal originated from the actual atomic clock in Colorado. What I didn't know was how the signal got from Colorado to wherever the heck I might be.

Got my antenna (EBAY Special) advertised for my make and model, this AM - installed (plugged in and placed under the dash (just under the dash), I'm parked in some pretty heavy tree cover and everything is working great. Got a fix within 30 seconds of power on. So everything is back in place, permantly installed, and I have an in dash navigation system that works. (y)

All of the cell companies use GPS to sync time across their systems. This makes your phone clock accurate. We won't even get into the discussion of leap seconds.
Good news and a follow up on this. I read an article recently where the International Time Consortium decided to do away with leap seconds in 2025.

When I worked for KCBS, audio from the network's New York headquarters was distributed via terrestrial phone lines so the network chime at the top of the hour was essentially sync'd to UTC and all of the stations on the network set their local clocks to it. This worked until the network switched satellite distribution which delayed the audio by the latency of going up and back to the satellite. When we transitioned to the satellite feed our local clocks were about 2 seconds ahead of the network and our news director made us reset them to match the delayed network time.

When one of our towers fell a short time later a whole swarm of corporate engineers descended on us to plan the replacement. While they were here I pointed out the time discrepancy since the switch to satellite and suggested they advance when they send the chime to compensate. This provoked much discussion between them and they eventually decided it would create too much of disruption in the New York operations and that location took precedence over the rest of us in the hinterlands. As far as I know the CBS network time is still about 2 seconds behind UTC everywhere except there.

Well, you say that but I remember the mad scramble to fix software for the year 2000 roll over and the dire predictions of the grid and banking going down when all the computers went tilt. The service outfit I worked for put everyone on call and we all had 2 way radios in case the phones went down. It was a big nothing of course but it's not hard to imagine finding where all the leap seconds and other time fudges are embedded in the most obscure places. Wondering if that long lead time to changing the process isn't so much to get "ready" but to allowing existing systems to expire and be replaced with ones known to be compliant.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

but I remember the mad scramble to fix software for the year 2000 roll over and the dire predictions of the grid and banking going down when all the computers went tilt. The service outfit I worked for put everyone on call and we all had 2 way radios in case the phones went down. It was a big nothing of course
But the Y2K was mostly a " big nothing" because of the tremendous amount of work went into modifying software in the couple of years preceding the change. That was right around the time I retired from AT&T, and I was contracting to Lucent for a while during those last couple of years helping many companies across the country do software changes/updates to their Unices (Unixes?) so that they'd not be affected. AT&T, of course, was also doing a huge amount of updating, of Y2K work. And that was only a tiny piece of the effort that went on during that time frame. It was mostly "behind the scenes" so most people were not aware of it.

If all that had not been done, there would have been many unpleasant consequences.

But the Y2K was mostly a " big nothing" because of the tremendous amount of work went into modifying software in the couple of years preceding the change. That was right around the time I retired from AT&T, and I was contracting to Lucent for a while during those last couple of years helping many companies across the country do software changes/updates to their Unices (Unixes?) so that they'd not be affected. AT&T, of course, was also doing a huge amount of updating, of Y2K work. And that was only a tiny piece of the effort that went on during that time frame. It was mostly "behind the scenes" so most people were not aware of it.

If all that had not been done, there would have been many unpleasant consequences.
Yes, absolutely!

I was working for a company that designed industrial control systems. The company invested a huge amount of money updating and retrofitting affected control systems prior to Y2K.

It was a "big nothing" because of all the effort to find and fix all of the software in those old-old control systems (the newer stuff didn't make that mistake).

Back
Top Bottom