GPS FOR MOTORHOMES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been there done that! Came right up to a 8'6" overpass, was alert and able to make a u-turn in the road with adjoining parking area. Not a fun experience but sure educational.
Yikes. Can't even imagine the consequences had you been day dreaming and did not notice that. Of course one would have to be pretty out of it not to notice an overpass THAT low! :)

I expect most here have seem the video compilation of drivers asleep at the wheel so to speak:

Well, my Rand McNally RVND 7 timed-out of lifetime updates, (RM defines lifetime as 3 years). So, I bought a OHREX cheap china knock-off for $80 off Amazon. It is a trucker GPS and so far has performed very good, and is accurate. One must register it with the company, as all lifetime updates will come on an SD card they say.
It is somewhat cumbersome and clunky to use compared to my old RM, but what would one expect for $80?
I just went onto amazon and they are on sell for $68. I bought one. Thanks for the heads up

What are the benefits of a dedicated GPS compared to using Google Maps, WAZE or any number of phone/tablet apps?
I don't know about anyone else, but #1- my Garmin is way more accurate than my Google Maps or phone ever has been, #2- my Garmin actually has a screen big enough to see from several feet away, and, #3- my Garmin actually talks to me and doesn't listen in on my personal conversations while I'm driving (I have disabled my Google Helper for just that reason).

In south Utah I live on 4200N,,Garmin has it as 4150N,, I reported it and was told they get info from a third party and will "look into it",, google has it right..>>>Dan

What are the benefits of a dedicated GPS
A lot of it is also personal preference. I am one of those who prefer a dedicated GPS and like several others am very much a Garmin user. I have had 2 units of other brands but because of the past experience, when my old one failed a few days ago I got another Gramin. I have used my phone and I know several others who do so. In fact, 2 of my 3 sons use their phones. One of them has his phone linked to a display in his truck so that his chosen phone mapping app feeds the display and speaker on his dash. Since neither my car nor my truck have that ability, I will stay with my Garmin.

In south Utah I live on 4200N,,Garmin has it as 4150N,, I reported it and was told they get info from a third party and will "look into it",, google has it right..>>>Dan
This goes both ways, when you use google to try to get too my sisters house it tries to direct you down a powerline right of way that is about 1/4 mile north of her actual short 1/2 mile long road.

No computer program is any better than data input and the software writers. That's why I also carry a Rand McNally truckers road atlas in the MH and keep another in the house for planning.

Back
Top Bottom