GPS Maps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catblaster

Was looking at a built in GPS, it is an option for the Jensen radio we are considering buying. Question is; it uses something called Tele Atlas for it's maps, getting more confused and would like some input from the brain trust. Am leaning toward keeping my Nuvi, cheaper and I feel it is easier to update.....any recommendations?? Thanks, Will

I agree with you Will. Many of the new cars come with built in navigation systems, and they all have the same weakness. If the GPS in your unit becomes obsolete, you are pretty much screwed. If the Garmin (or any stand alone) becomes obsolete, replacement is much more cost effective. 

I used to have a Magellin GPS that I really liked. Then they decided not to offer any upgraded maps for it, or software upgrades.  Bang, instant paper weight.  I would stay with the stand alone.

Our new coach came with a Jensen VM9424 radio with built-in GPS and I find it obnoxious to use or see. It is no where near the line of sight to drive safely and is difficult to reach.

And far from intuitive to operate.

That said, we are configuring to use the iPad to provide the same information. And it won't become obsolete using the many Internet mapping programs and a GPS or MiFi or data plan connection. If it's good enough for the major airlines to issue to their pilots, you can bet the software will soon become non proprietary for the apps where it is not already available. The specialty RV overlays and plug ins are not far behind.

And I can use it for airplane charts or ground navigation. Plus my copilot can manage it since it's her iPad.  8)

+2; there are so many apps for the smart phones that will use the built in GPS for mapping purposes, a separate GPS doesn't make as much sense as it did a few years ago.  Google maps, for instance, is, like free, once you have a phone...

SargeW said:
I have Google maps on my phone, but have not used it for navigation.  Will the program go turn by turn like a GPS?

There was a similar topic a week or so ago - and the subject of using a smartphone came up. My Samsung Charge has a nice turn by turn GPS navigation system. However, after experimenting, decided to upgrade my dash top GPS instead. Here was part of my response:

It's nice that so many toys are being included in a smartphone these days - but I found that while functioning as a GPS, I don't want it to be anything else. Before buying my current TomTom, I experimented w/the Droid X I had at the time to see if it would be an OK GPS.

I had a dash/window holder for it and while driving used it as a GPS. But then the phone rang - and then I decided to change the track of music I was listenting to -- and later the radio station I was trying to get to -- and so forth. There didn't seem to be a quick way to get back to the GPS screen I was on before messing with other stuff. And, of course, I was driving the 5 freeway at the time. I am a solo RVer, vs. having a navigator to do all this stuff while underway. I quickly decided that for me, a GPS should "only" be a GPS.

After only one trip, I bought an $89 5" screen TomTom on sale at Target w/free lifetime maps - and couldn't be happier w/the decision. It has all the features I see in the posted link here. I have used the Droid GPS as a backup in terms of finding something that TomTom hasn't updated as yet, but that seldom happens.

Edit: Added link.

The built-in navigation systems have several drawbacks, the chief ones being high upfront cost and very expensive to update (assuming updates are available at all). Followed by infrequent updates, and (typically) less usability than the majors (Garmin, TomTom, coPilot, etc), and difficulty adding custom POIs.

My advice is to stick with a major GPS navigation provider. Nowadays you can usually get lifetime map updates included in the purchase price and still pay less than the built-ins.

SargeW said:
I have Google maps on my phone, but have not used it for navigation.  Will the program go turn by turn like a GPS?

Yes, it will.  Press the button in the upper left of the screen and the drop down menu has a Navigation item.  On my phone I can either speak or type the destination and it will then calculate the routing from my current location and give turn by turn instructions.

The traffic overlay is also very accurate and is one of the most useful features of Google maps.

We prefer our Garmin Nuvi that we move between cars and motorhome.  Both the MDX and the Lexus came with a backup camera built into the navigation system.  We love the backup cameras, but hate both nav systems.  The one in the MDX is adequate whereas the one in the Lexus is useless - very difficult to use and not at all intuitive.  It's so bad we decided not to get any map updates.

On our last trip Jerry used his Android phone to supplement the Garmin and it was fun, but I wouldn't want to rely on it without a passenger to follow along because the driver really can't see it all that well.  The Garmin sits on a beanbag on the dashboard and is easily viewable.  The one thing that was neat about the Android was when we were at a truck stop and I couldn't see the exit because of construction and heavy truck parking and traffic.  Jerry brought up the truck stop on the Android's GPS system and we could clearly see an overhead view of the rows of truck parking I needed to go around to get to the exit I needed to use.  That was really neat and useful!

ArdraF

I have used a Nuvi, as well as some other devices and my choice remains Streets and Trips with a GPS (The NUVI can provide the GPS info)  S&T 2013 WITH GPS 67 bucks at Micro Center.. I bought the store out (The sticks & Bricks not the internet warehouse) since they had but one.. I have to say the routing is much improved over older versions.  I truly liked the route it send me on this trip.

I'm now in the campground where I spend 2/3 of my winter.. Got here just in time.

Generator ran out of gas this morning at 4:30 (no problem with quiet hours, In a church parking lot, and the next door neighbor is a construction company/site) I ran out of water last evening (Drained the water heater so I had enough to use for flushing) and would have run out of batteries about the time I got here.  If not for the 20 mile drive from churh to here.

BUT: We had a good choir practice Saturday and I returned in the evening for Mass, then 2 masses this morning (I do enjoy singing, epically that kind) So, all in all, good time was had, and good timing too.

Well...I guess it's unanimous, especially after skyking has had the same model and also issues. They money would be better spent on updating maps for the NUVI and moving it between motorcycles, RV and boat.
Really need a portable GPS on an airboat in the marsh...after a while all the cypress trees look alike and at night they talk to ya ???

Thanks everyone..Will

And don't forget that "lifetime" maps are whatever the maker of the unit decides is it's lifetime. Read the paperwork and you'll see that they are free to stop supporting that particular model at their discretion and that is the end of it's "lifetime". Crazy I know, but you should know that going in rather than learn it after you paid.

Ken

Another nice thing about the Garmin NUvi is that you can take it along with you if you fly somewhere and use it in the rental car. 

Lowell said:
Another nice thing about the Garmin NUvi is that you can take it along with you if you fly somewhere and use it in the rental car.

The NUVI model we have has a real disadvantage... at least for me.  I cannot find a way to "upload" gpx files to it.  It's also tricky to even "upload" a route.  It's fine if you want the unit to do all the routing after you put in a destination but if you want to follow a track that someone sends you from a trip they just took, it is a challenge.  Maybe our unit is too old or maybe I'm unable to figure it out or whatever.  I plug it into the computer with the USB cable, I see the directory structure in the unit, I see a folder called GPX files, so I copied a gpx file into the folder but cannot find it after I return the unit to stand alone GPS.  I can download tracks from the unit so I have a record of where we went. 

Normally people share their tracks as gpx files so this is a real problem for some of us.  BTW, the trail units from Garmin, like  the 60CSX, allow uploads of gpx files, although they are limited to 500 points.  The newer units have increased this limit.

There is an app for Android phones, called DualSportMaps.  Best mapping app I've seen yet.  Works on the Android tablets too... if you want a larger display. 

taoshum said:
Maybe our unit is too old or maybe I'm unable to figure it out or whatever.  I plug it into the computer with the USB cable, I see the directory structure in the unit, I see a folder called GPX files, so I copied a gpx file into the folder but cannot find it after I return the unit to stand alone GPS.  I can download tracks from the unit so I have a record of where we went. 

I'm running a few GPX files on my Nuvi 465t. You need to download them into your Garmin via the POI uploader, copying doesn't work. Go to the Garmin website and download the program and follow the instructions.

And when you upload a list of POIs it has to be the entire list each time instead of one at a time.  Jerry sets up the POI list in the computer and then uploads it to the Garmin.

ArdraF

We have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500. The dealer informed me it will be $149 to update the maps in the built in GPS. I don't think so.

I always use my Garmin which I've loaded with extra POIs. Never lets me down.

I have Google Navigation on my phone which is a reasuring backup though.

We bought a new coach with the Jensen 9424 Nav/Radio/Rear Camera.  I'm keeping the Garmin dezl560 to navigate with.  Also traded cars and got the Honda Nav system.  Also keeping the Garmin nuvi for serious navigation in the car.

Back
Top Bottom