GPS purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvman44

I think it is time for me to purchase a new GPS as my old Garmin Nuvi 765T is acting retarded.  Thinking about another Garmin but there are so many models to choose from, any suggestions?

We recently bought a new one too.  The Nuvi 2757 is really nice.  The directions are much improved and the screen is easier to read.  I'm not sure how many Garmins we've had (both for travel and hiking) and each one has improved upon the other.

ArdraF

My Nuvi 1450 is still ticking, but if you come across a Nuvi 255 real real cheap, let me know.  Mine grew legs and jumped out of my SUV last night. :eek:  Maybe I should have locked the doors, ya think? ::)

Molaker said:
Mine grew legs and jumped out of my SUV last night. :eek:  Maybe I should have locked the doors, ya think? ::)

If it grew legs and jump out maybe it would have been smart enough to unlock the door if you had locked the doors.  ;D

Can't answer your question directly since i haven't bought a recent unit....
I gave DW a Nuvi a few years ago.  Nice unit till it started locking up.  I imagine any Nuvi is a good one.
I splurged for the lifetime update.  Think that's a bad idea.  by the time you really need an update, the unit will be either;
a) discontinued and no longer supported, or
b) will fail
I write from experience.  My opinion, consider them disposable.

We've just been using cell phones for the last couple years.  Waze is great...

Everytime I'm out of familiar territory though, following this stupid smart phone blindly down some path, I wonder if it's leading me down a road toward a bottle necked trap, only suitable for a short and lightweight sedan....  I keep thinking how nice it might be to get an RV oriented unit.

blw2 said:
I keep thinking how nice it might be to get an RV oriented unit.

+1 on the RV-focused GPS units! I wish we had had one when our old GPS tried to take our 13ft tall MH through a 9'9" tunnel! THAT was a PITA to back up from on a 1-1/2 lane dirt road....  :eek: :mad: ;D

Clemon, you could have made it through the tunnel if you had been going fast enough.

There are a lot of GPS apps for Android and IPhone.  Why buy a dedicated GPS unit?  My maps program on my IPhone shows slow-downs, closed roads, for example, shows underpasses, interchanges. 

Do  a search on the topic!!. Many of the apps for phone and tablets do NOT use  stored maps on phones or tablet, they use maps downloaded from the internet as needed, meaning a constant data connection is required. The size of the available picture on many phones leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I, for one, do not use a 'smart phone' but use a pay as you go type of cell service, so no data connection. I feel that maps on the most recent GPS units updated with the so-called lifetime option are very good, much better than those that were available even a few years ago, not to mention the purpose-built GPS units for RV's and truckers with many of the new features such as overhead clearances etc built-in and configurable. Most cell phone/tablet apps can't do that!!

If a GPS app on a phone works for you, go for it!!!

Why buy a dedicated GPS unit?

The biggest reason is there often is no cell phone coverage where RVers tend to travel.  Plus you can't store favorite places and routes like you can on a GPS that is designed for that purpose.  Phones and GPS units are like apples and oranges.  Can't live without our GPS that we take between three different vehicles depending on where we're driving.  Finally, I prefer to have a unit up near the dashboard that I can glance at to see routes and streets.  Can't do that with a cell phone and personally I can't hear the directions with the poor speakers on cell phones.  Much prefer a GPS!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
The biggest reason is there often is no cell phone coverage where RVers tend to travel. 

Very true..... and a real problem, but for me I don't travel so far off the beaten path and almost always have cell coverage on the road.  Even the back roads where I go....Maybe not so good a signal in the campgrounds, but good enough to get me there no problem....

ArdraF said:
Plus you can't store favorite places and routes like you can on a GPS that is designed for that purpose. 
not true at all, you can store favorite locations, and it remembers recent waypoints....and in fact in some ways (when you have data service ;) ) the places of interest lookup is far superior with the ability to see live data, business hours, etc... and lik to the internet for even more info.... sometimes too much info.

ArdraF said:
Phones and GPS units are like apples and oranges.  Can't live without our GPS that we take between three different vehicles depending on where we're driving.  Finally, I prefer to have a unit up near the dashboard that I can glance at to see routes and streets.  Can't do that with a cell phone and personally I can't hear the directions with the poor speakers on cell phones.  Much prefer a GPS!

ArdraF

Yes they are very different, and the dedicated units have certain advantages....
but again, I have to say the ability to take between vehicles... the advantage for the phone goes to my cell phone.  In fact its in my pocket right now....
and I have dash mounted holders in the RV and all our cars, so when I get in and want to use it for navigation, I'll stick it in the holder and plug her in if need be....
Now about the speakers....my waze app is a bit on the quiet side.  ok in my silverado but hard to hear in the RV.  The native google maps application on android though.... at least on my phone is loud.... very loud
and I don't even have to touch it.  I can tell it "OK Google Now" and it wakes up.... then I can tell it "Navigate home" or wherever.... and it will launch the map and take me home... without ever even touching it.

So for me, the win goes to a real GPS if you travel off the beaten path
and the phone looses if you like a small phone and like a big GPS
or if you like to talk on your phone and navigate at the same time
but otherwise the newer smart phones can be hard to beat..... they have improved a lot in the last couple years.

oh one more thing.... my phone will offer suggested re-routes while underway based on traffic changes, and it's usually spot on.  Very nice..... but of course, it needs data for that....

Brad, I have to laugh about the cell phone coverage.  Our signal varies within our city stick and brick house - much less out on the road!  It's improving with each new set of gadgets they add to the nearest cell tower.  ;)  Didn't know you can store places and routes in the cell phone.  I guess you can tell I'm not the greatest cell phone user!  :eek:

ArdraF

yeah, coverage is a funny thing for sure.... I've seen the same thing.... spotty coverage right in town.

My carrier is ATT.  When I visit my family in North Carolina, I can't get coverage in their house or barely even in the yard... and they live in a fairly large town (Wilmington).... but I have no problem using the cell phone to navigate all the way to their house.

but a good example is on our recent trip we took, from North East Florida up to Florence Marina SP in GA.  We were pretty far out there in Southern GA, driving for several hours out and back on different country routes.  Using cell phone navigation the whole time and I don't remember it ever missing a beat.... but we had no signal at all in the camp ground itself....

I certainly can't 'esplain it.

halfwright said:
Clemon, you could have made it through the tunnel if you had been going fast enough.

LOL! I'd be a lot shorter now if I had! IIRC, the roof of the underpass was just about at forehead level! Too extreme a haircut for me!  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom