GPS Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

If I open two nav programs (SA 2005 and S&T for example), can I feed both simutaneously with one USB GPS receiver? (I would test it out myself but my new Deluo USB GPS hasn't arrived yet.)
Thanks,

Good question Bruce. Both programs would have to be looking at the same port, and I don't know if that would create a conflict.

I doubt it, Bruce.  The device driver interface would have to be designed to share the device and I doubt either the driver or the map software bothered to do that.  A GPS presents a continuous stream of data and the device driver would have to duplicate that stream in real time to send the same stream to two different recipients.  Without actually having tried it myself, I am confident that each map application would need exclusive access to the GPS device.

BruceinFL said:
If I open two nav programs (SA 2005 and S&T for example), can I feed both simutaneously with one USB GPS receiver? (I would test it out myself but my new Deluo USB GPS hasn't arrived yet.)
Thanks,

Bruce

When I used a Garmin SPIII, I was able to feed the antenna info to my laptop and run SA8 simultaneously. It is somewhat different than using one info input to feed 2 programs but I did have 2 going.

Bruce

Just another thought - could the two programs be set up to look at different ports? That way you could send the NMEA data to both ports. I do this with a NMEA bus on my boat - I have several instruments and a laptop hooked to the bus, all reading the same data concurrently.

One caveat - occasionally I'll forget to set the right port on the notebook and it will think the GPS input is a mouse. That really screws up navigation  :)

Bruce,
I have been usiing a Deluo GPS for over 2 years with S&T and it has worked great.  It is my second unit though.  The 1st one I pinched the wires behind window trim while hiding the wirres and mounting it on the upper corner of the windshield.  I tred to fix it but all my many words did was blister the wire coating.  i assume the price is still about the same.  That and S&T gives you a good $110 GPS system.

Len and Jo said:
Bruce,
I have been usiing a Deluo GPS for over 2 years with S&T and it has worked great.? It is my second unit though.? The 1st one I pinched the wires behind window trim while hiding the wirres and mounting it on the upper corner of the windshield.? I tred to fix it but all my many words did was blister the wire coating.? i assume the price is still about the same.? That and S&T gives you a good $110 GPS system.

Right now, I'm not happy with DeLuo. My order was processed on 5/15 and I paid for 2nd day air. So far, it has not arrived and I'm leaving on a long trip Sunday. I emailed DeLuo but no response yet and there's no way to talk to them on the phone. If it doesn't come tomorrow I'm SOL on the GPS. Last time I will ever deal with them.  :mad:

I need some information about the garmin SP!!!.  Does it use all the current mapping references like UTM, WGS 84 etc or does it only have one??

The various agencies use different ones and the positions are NOT the same.  We just had a problem locating a fire because of this and before I spend $$$, I need to know!  BG

TIA,

Jim

James Godward said:
I need some information about the garmin SP!!!.  Does it use all the current mapping references like UTM, WGS 84 etc or does it only have one??

The various agencies use different ones and the positions are NOT the same.  We just had a problem locating a fire because of this and before I spend $$$, I need to know!  BG

Jim

Give Garmin a call at - 1-800-800-1020. They should be able to give you the answer.

BruceinFL said:
Right now, I'm not happy with DeLuo. My order was processed on 5/15 and I paid for 2nd day air. So far, it has not arrived and I'm leaving on a long trip Sunday. I emailed DeLuo but no response yet and there's no way to talk to them on the phone. If it doesn't come tomorrow I'm SOL on the GPS. Last time I will ever deal with them.? :mad:
Sorry to hear about your poor delivery problem.  I personaly did not have a problem, although I was not under any time constraints.  If I remember correctly my units came in a timely fashion.

BruceinFL said:
Thanks,

Bruce,

I tried it once and it didn't work. The only way I've been able to run two is SPIII and SA using the SPIII information for the SA. Not quite the same. :)

Len and Jo said:
Did your GPS sensor come today (Saturday)????

Nope. UPS was supposed to have delivered it and left it on our porch on the 17th according to the tracking number but there was nothing on the porch. I checked every day, a couple of times a day. Can't get hold of UPS or DeLuo until Monday.  :-\

Back
Top Bottom