GPS units which alert roads that have max. height restrictions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whowhopop

anyone know if there are GPS units (Garmin/TomTom/Magellan) which alert the RV traveler if the road they are taking has low overpasses or other height based restrictions/obstacles to be avoided?

looking to avoid difficult situations while taking the many unknown roads that are encountered along the way...  : )

Don't know if any of the hardware GPS units have that capability. I do know that Copilot Laptop software does have the capability. I run it on my laptop with a GPS attached (USB port) while travelling. Here is the website to check it out: Copilot Live Laptop 10. Sometimes they run a special where you can "trade-in" another software like Street Atlas.

My Garmin C330 (a mid-line consumer unit) has a mode for "truck routes", so it might help in that regard but I doubt that it's foolproof.  I believe there's a Trucker's Atlas out there that's been mentioned before and is most recommended for that sort of thing, and I'm sure someone will chime in with the details.

It is the Truckers Atlas and is available from any large truck stop.  There are 2 versions, one in paper and one with coated pages that's waterproof and spiral bound.  Lots of good info in the tables, including low overpasses by state and highway.  The state maps have the truck routes marked and you can be assured you'll be ok if you stick to those roads.

We too use the Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas.  It has restricted roads - whether by height or width - and is broken down by state.

In addition the east and west coast editions of the Mountain Directory warn you about the steepest grades which RVers might want to avoid.  It's arranged by state and at the beginning of each state is its map with numbered entries showing locations of the steep grades.  You then go to that number to find a complete description of the grade, including percent of grade and speed limits on curves.

I think it's safe to say most of us use a variety of resources, in addition to our GPS units.

ArdraF

The pricier GPS units can tell you about detours, traffic delays, construction, etc., with their subscription service, from what I'm told.  I've stuck with the basic free service because it meets my needs, so I can help you from experience.  I don't know if they can do what you say, but it's a darn good suggestion. Try being in touch with a maker like Garmin or their software people and see what they say.  I suspect that shown truck routes would have to meet the minimum height requirements for over the road rigs.

Hi there!1
You might check out "Co-Pilot Live 10". Sold by Camping world. You load it into a laptop or  PC. They claim it gives 11' and 13' underpass alerts...plus a bunch more. The Bluetooth version is, I think, about $250.00.
Good luck!!
December

It's Copilot 11 now...the new version is out. Copilot Laptop has an RV choice for vehicle type. It also gives a choice between 12"6" and 13' clearance.

Regarding the traffic function on the self contained GPSs, you have to be in a covered area to get the service. Although they are adding areas, most of the now covered areas are in the vicinity of larger metropolitan cities.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom