Gray tank repair, Honeybear MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
Found this auction on eBay and this rig is actually within an hour's drive of me (something I rarely see):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270042147690

Looks like a nice Class C and a reasonable 'Buy It Now' price, but the seller says the gray tank and plumbing were damaged by a rear blowout.  Anyone know the ballpark on a repair like that?  I'm sure it depends on the extent of the damage, but what's the worst case scenario (which I guess would be replacing the tank and plumbing around it)?  Or perhaps this is one to be avoided completely... I'm just curious to know if it's worth an hour's drive to see and test-drive it.

It could be a simple crack repair that most others would avoid and make it a good deal.? Here's a link to some prices for new tank parts to give you an idea, but labor would obviously have to be added. An RV center should be able to give you a ball-park figure to replace it. To repair it, you might have to remove it, so if you're paying for that labor, you might just as well replace it and not have to worry about it when you're on the road.

I'd look at it, because it might be a simple repair and a frustrated seller because most others aren't interested in it. I'd also be concerned if there was no other damage other than the crack, which would indicate to me freeze damage, rather than physical damage, and possibly more hidden damage. If a tire blew and caused the damage, there's probably more damage than that, and I'd want to see for myself before buying it. I fthe tank was cracked, dump fittings/connections might be damaged also. You're probably into a few hundred dollars.

It could be a deal, or it could be involved, but you won't know until you see it.

The seller estimates a $200-300 repair, so I'll assume $500-600.  ;)  Anyone know anything about the "Honeybear" name brand?  This is the first I've heard of it, and according to NADA it was only in production for the 1993-1994 model years.

Scotty -

I know nothing about the rig you're looking at but it looks clean and in good shape. Can you get to see it before the listing expires? Remember ebay has a fraud guarantee. I'm not an expert on the details but I think if you're told $300 would fix the tank and it's more like $1,000 you might you have a way of being compensated.

The thing with ebay is that these rigs go fast, as I'm sure you know. I just held my breath and hit "bid now," praying all the way. I still hold my breath each time I crank it up.

Good luck -

Danny

chaajoad said:
Can you get to see it before the listing expires?

I certainly plan to, but the problem is on the seller's end.  I contacted him and he said he would be gone all weekend... and the listing expires on Monday!  :p  Why someone would list a MH for sale, then not be around to show it to potential buyers is beyond me.  ::)  I still plan to call the seller today and get all the details, and then maybe if the auction ends without meeting reserve we can work something else out.

You have to do what you think is best.  I always figured that when I can't inspect something  one of 2 things is happening,  Either the guy is hidding something or he doesn;t want to be bothered by anyone, just a send me the money guy and it's your baby.  He doen't appear to know too much about this rig.  Wonder if it was relly used by him or if he inherited it and just wants to get rid of it.  Or even possibly he bought it and can't figure out how to use it.  Your not that far away, if you know the address, run down there and look at it anyway.  If you know the name and phone #  look it up on the computer and get the addy.  If it doen't sell on Mon cause the reserve isn't met, maybe it can be purchased for less.  I'd try a lesser offer before the giving it all.  Also remember in ILL no sales tax buying from an individual only a user tax that can be 25 to 250 bucks.  a break there.  Good Luck no matter what you do.    I've always felt that if I couldn't buy it for what I figured I should then it was a bad deal and I shouldn't have it anyway.  Just my theory might not work for others.

Back
Top Bottom