Greetings and Merry Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stretch1

Hi everyone

I am not new to RVing but just joined your forum.  I am looking for advise on using my new Robin/Subaru 4300is generator on the road running the air on my 30' fifth wheel.  My concern is that there will be a conflict between the generator attempting to charge the trailer batteries and the alternator on the truck attempting the same job. All of your thoughts would be appreacted as I do not wish to end the life of any of these systems.

I have been enjoying reading all of your thoughts and stories and have found that this forum is totally addicting.  I am a Police Officer and if you have any Law Enforcement questions I would be pleased to assist.

Yours,

Neal

Neal,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please join in on any of the ongoing discussions, ask questions, or start new discussions relating to the RV lifestyle.  We are looking forward to your participation.

Hi Neal, I'll add my welcome to Ron's.

I don't see a conflict between the charging systems. I assume the battery(ies) on the fifth wheel will be charged from the alternator on the truck, but the truck engine will not be running while you're camped, so the alternator will not be charging at that time. While camped, with the generator running, I assume you have a charger (or a converter/charger) in the fifth wheel that will charge the battery. If there's a possibility they could both be trying to charge at the same time you should use a diode isolator, available at most auto parts stores. Alternatively, just unplug the trailer from the truck before starting the generator.

That's the simple version of it anyway and I'm sure others will jump in with a more complete answer.

Tom said:
Hi Neal, I'll add my welcome to Ron's.

I don't see a conflict between the charging systems. I assume the battery(ies) on the fifth wheel will be charged from the alternator on the truck, but the truck engine will not be running while you're camped, so the alternator will not be charging at that time. While camped, with the generator running, I assume you have a charger (or a converter/charger) in the fifth wheel that will charge the battery. If there's a possibility they could both be trying to charge at the same time you should use a diode isolator, available at most auto parts stores. Alternatively, just unplug the trailer from the truck before starting the generator.

That's the simple version of it anyway and I'm sure others will jump in with a more complete answer.

Tom,

I think Neal will have to use an isolator of some kind. Reread his message, I quote...."I am looking for advise on using my new Robin/Subaru 4300is generator on the road running the air on my 30' fifth wheel. " In that case he would be running his generator and be plugged into his truck at the same time.

I've seen lots of isolators for use with one charge source to two battery banks but I'm not sure I've ever seen one for two charging sources and one battery bank. But I'm sure there is enough expertise on this forum to come up with a solution.

Good catch Don, I missed that, thanks.

I've seen and used isolators that accomodate two charging sources - pretty much standard on twin engine boats. Typically, they accomodate two battery banks and two charging sources, but they'll work just fine with only one battery bank. A diode doesn't care if nothing is attached to it.

Tom said:
Good catch Don, I missed that, thanks.

I've seen and used isolators that accomodate two charging sources - pretty much standard on twin engine boats. Typically, they accomodate two battery banks and two charging sources, but they'll work just fine with only one battery bank. A diode doesn't care if nothing is attached to it.

Problem solved.

pretty much standard on twin engine boats.

Ha, Ha, Now I know why I've never seen one. I've never owned anything with more than one engine.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I've never owned anything with more than one engine.

What, you only have one engine in your coach?

Thanks so much gentlemen,

How about just a switch to isolate the truck battery from the coach when I run the air.  I will just need to remember what position it is in.

Neal

stretch1 said:
How about just a switch to isolate the truck battery from the coach when I run the air.? I will just need to remember what position it is in.

Just out of curiousity Neal, why are you running the A/C while the trailer is on the road?  Trailers don't really seem to heat up all that much in transit, at least in my experience in 100F temperatures in the Southwest.    If you are sitting in a rest area for lunch, simply unplugging the trailer electric line should do the job of isolation the truck from the trailer.

We are going to travel to Arizona, New Mexico and the Grand Canyon next summer, wife and 12 year old daughter.  I am going to attach a cargo carrier on the rear of the 5er and use it to carry the bikes, generator, Weber ETC. I thought it might be nice to step into a cool rig when we stop.  When I retire I will have two cats to keep cool while we travel around the County and since I just got my new toy for Christmas (generator) I want to play with it.  The difference between men and boys....

Neal

To answer your question for the near term I have no rear reason to do this but I could not find any one who spoke of it on any of the forums out there and I will need it in the future.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas,

Neal

I thought it might be nice to step into a cool rig when we stop. 

Nice maybe but not worth much fuss.  The areas, the US SW,  you refer to are my stomping grounds.  Travelling with a 23' TT I have never had the trailer any where near hot inside at lunch brakes or the evening stops.  It usually takes my single A/C unit 5 minutes to reduce interior temps to meatlocker cold at final stops.  We travel with a pooch.  I have never hesitated about shutting him in the trailer for a few minutes at stops. 

Trailers do not have the same problem as cars in overheating the cab.  Trailers are well insulated, generally white, and relatively low in glass surface.  Cars tend to be poorly insulated, generally not white and have a lot of glass area for a massive greenhouse effect.

Hello Stretch,

I would really like to hear your experiences with the Robin genset. I am looking at this same model for the very same application and same mounting technique - rear carrier strapped down and locked.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom