Greetings from Florida!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2ndTime

Hi everyone, I am brand new to the fourm and I like what I have seen so far.

Many years ago when my kids were young I towed a 1976 23' Terry TT with my 1973 Pontiac station wagon.? We made many memorable excursions including a 10,000 mile cross country trip.? Well, the kids are grown and gone and have kids of their own.? ?I am now considering getting back into trailering, but this time there will be only two of us.

I have a 2005 Ford F150 with 5.4 engine and 3.73 rear end.? I am well aware of all of the weight parameters and intend to stay within the manufacturers recommendations. One of my questions is about trailer length and any rule of thumb (or other kind of rule) regarding the relationship between tow vehicle and trailer length.? I would like to go with something around 26', but many of the floor plans that look good get up into the 28' size.? Given that I will stay within the weight parameters, what advice can anyone give me regarding length.

Happy to be here and looking forward to many good informaiton exchanges.

2ndTime, welcome to our forum. Glad you decided to join us. I'll let one of our trailerites respond directly to your question.

2ndTime said:
I have a 2005 Ford F150 with 5.4 engine and 3.73 rear end.? I am well aware of all of the weight parameters and intend to stay within the manufacturers recommendations. One of my questions is about trailer length and any rule of thumb (or other kind of rule) regarding the relationship between tow vehicle and trailer length.? I would like to go with something around 26', but many of the floor plans that look good get up into the 28' size.? Given that I will stay within the weight parameters, what advice can anyone give me regarding length.

Welcome aboard.

Geometrically there is a relationship between trailer length and tow vehicle length.  However, that is  is ameliorated by a short distance between rear axle and ball, and, most greatly,  by weight distribution and anti-sway systems.
I pull a 23' trailer with a '95 Ford Bronco which has a 105" wheel base.  The Bronco has a short overhang, and most importantly a good weight distribution and anti-sway system, the Reese Dual-Cam system.  It is rock steady, even in Banning Pass crosswinds on I-10. 

At Monument Valley, I saw a 30' Airstream being towed by a Ford Explorer.  His WD/AS rig was the Hensley Arrow.  He had come thru some really good winds to get there.

In short, trailer length is not a big issue given that you spend some money on a good hitch system.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  I'm sure your questions regarding trailer towing will be answered by one of the folks with experience in towing trailers.  Welcome aboard.

Carl-
Thanks for the response.  I had to look up "ameliorated" before replying back. ;)
I am planning to use either the Equal-i-zer hitch or the Reese Dual Cam.  Right now I am leaning toward the Equal-i-zer, but open for suggestions.

Thanks again!

As Carl says, as long as you stay well within weight limts there is no particular length concern, at least not up to around 30 feet. Even at 30+ feet, a Hensley Arrow hitch could probably control it well enough.  That is not to say there will be no sway, but you will probably not notice a lot of difference between, say, a 24 footer and a 28 footer.

However, in recent years the F150 has been designed more like a passenger car than a truck and has a fairly soft suspension to improve its ride.  If you plan to do a lot of trailering, I think you would find the sturdier F250 Superduty to be a more capable towing vehicle without giving up a whole lot in the way of ride comfort.  It doesn't necessarily have to have a larger an engine than you currently have, but the more robust frame, larger tires and stronger suspension will make a better counterpoint to  the the trailer and better resist the phenomena known as "the tail wagging the dog".

Hi 2nd time,

Welcome to the forum. As you can see you are already getting some good anwers. :) Where are you located in FL? We live in Titusville when we're home.

2ndTime said:
Hi Jim Dick-

We live in Lake Worth (FL), west of West Palm Beach out near the FL Turnpike.

OK, a little further south. ;D Someday we have to take a trip to that area. Never been there. I was in boot camp with a guy from West Palm Beach.

2nd Time...
We lived in Boca Raton for many years but now have our home base in the Ocala National Forest about 15 miles east of Ocala.

If you get your trailer by the end of October, consider taking a trip up to Tifton, GA for the RV Forum Southeast Rally the first week in November.  Meet some of our fine members and get lots of first hand advice - as well as having a lot of fun. See http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=1064.0 for more info.

Geoff-I have the same truck with the tow package 4X4 which can tow 9,200.  I have a 27'er at 5,020 dry.  I am guessing I am at 6,500 loaded.  It 150 tows it fine but can get a little wiggly on the freeways that are windy, even with the weight dist hitch and sway controll. 

Carl, RV Roamer, CalTex, Jim, FX-

Thanks for the advice and comments.  I think I  have a better feel for weight/length TT that I want to tow.
I have some other questions, but now that I have "Introduced Myself" I will post those questions in the appropriate forum.
Thanks again for your help.

2nd Time...  I have access to the tow ratings at work.  What are the particulars of your 150?  rear axle ratio>  long bed, short bed, reg cab, crew, etc.  These all play a prt.  If I can help I'll try.  If you are up Tampa way let me know, I work at lazy Days. 

By the way guys, we have a strict policy about selling a unit too big for the tow vehicle.  While we will sell it, we will warn the customer the truck is under, and we will deliver to an offsite location, and customer has to sign a card agreeing that his truck is not qualified.  If he tows it, it is not because we tell him it should work. 

By the way guys, we have a strict policy about selling a unit too big for the tow vehicle.  While we will sell it, we will warn the customer the truck is under, and we will deliver to an offsite location, and customer has to sign a card agreeing that his truck is not qualified.  If he tows it, it is not because we tell him it should work. 

Sounds like a good policy.  Too bad all dealers don't do the same.

It is not only good but enforced and time spent in training.  No glossing it over.  However, you can lead a horse to water, but if he tries  to pull the barn...

BillnRI-

Sounds like a good policy that you have.

Here are the details on my TV:
Rear axlw ratio:  3.73
6.5 ft. bed
SuperCab
5.4l V-8
18" wheels

We may well be over Tampa way in our search.  We are starting to fan out from our West Palm Beach base in search of the right TT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom