greetings from minnesota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemay

Hello I am new to this forum.  My husband  and I are from Minnesota.  We have a Cherokee 28dd trailer and we tow it with a Ford F150, 5.4 engine and a 3.55 dif. We plan on trying to see as much of the USA as we can over the next few years. 

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please join in any of the ongoing discussions or start new discussions relating to the RVing lifestyle.  This is also a great place to get answers to your RVing questions.  Glad you found us.

lemay said:
  Hello I am new to this forum.  My husband  and I are from Minnesota.  We have a Cherokee 28dd trailer and we tow it with a Ford F150, 5.4 engine and a 3.55 dif. We plan on trying to see as much of the USA as we can over the next few years. 

Welcome to the forum!! Be sure to ask any questions you might have about RVing. There are many here who have traveled all over this country so they should be able to answer your questions. If you are retired there are some great places to head in the winter to get away from that Minnesota cold! :)

Welcome to RVForum, lemay. And we wish you many happy miles in your future jouneys.

I hate to start out by throwing a damper on things, but are you sure you have enough truck for that trailer? You've got a light duty truck with a fairly economical drivetrain.  Ford rates that combination at around maximum of about 8000 lbs, give or take a bit depending on cab style, bed length, etc.  With a 28 foot trailer, the gear you want for fun as well as every day living plus the passengers in the truck, you may well be close to that limit.  If you plan on extensive traveling, you will find an F250 to be a much sturdier vehicle for trailer towing.

RV Roamer said:
Welcome to RVForum, lemay. And we wish you many happy miles in your future jouneys.

I hate to start out by throwing a damper on things, but are you sure you have enough truck for that trailer? You've got a light duty truck with a fairly economical drivetrain.? Ford rates that combination at around maximum of about 8000 lbs, give or take a bit depending on cab style, bed length, etc.? With a 28 foot trailer, the gear you want for fun as well as every day living plus the passengers in the truck, you may well be close to that limit.? If you plan on extensive traveling, you will find an F250 to be a much sturdier vehicle for trailer towing.

Hmmm.? Don't usually disagree with you on this subject, but when I looked up the Ford F-150 pickup in the Trailer Life tables for 2005, it gave 9900/9500 lbs (2WD/4WD) as the tow rating for the F-150 PU with a 5.4L engine -- with no rear end restrictions!? :eek:? Given that her Cherokee 28DD trailer has a 7530-lb gross vehicle rating,? Lemay is well within even the infamous Lundquist 20% drag-the-thing-up-Pikes-Peak safety factor.

Myself I am surprised that Fords F-150 5.4L V8 has become so gutsy.? ?But there it is.

Back
Top Bottom