Gross vehicle weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pcinoregon

I have a 1996 Fleetwood southwind and I'm looking for the gross vehicle weight. Does anybody know it?

Attachments

• 20210427_124419.jpg
    20210427_124419.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 5
What you want is the chassis GVWR. If you have a Ford chassis and once you identify chassis model numerous places will give you the GVWR. There should also be a metal looking tag located outside near the driver's position that will give you all sorts of useful information

Do you need the actual weight, or the max allowed weight? Actual weight will require driving it onto a scale. Max weight is the chassis GVWR. Most '96 Southwinds are on the Ford F53 motorhome chassis, but some may be on the Chevy p30 chassis. In either case, the chassis GVWR varies with the size (lenght) of the coach. For a 96 Southwind, it will generally be between 14,000 and 16,000 lbs unless it has a tag axle (3rd axle at the back). Tag axle Southwinds (only on the 36 footer) can go to 19,000 lbs, as I recall. I owned one of those back in the day.

It may be on the tire size and inflation plate, usually inside on the inside wall near the driver's seat.

If you are looking for the GVW just drive it over a scale. The GVW is what it weighs at any instant in time.

GVWR is a rating. It is the max weight the vehicle is allowed to weigh before it exceeds the rating it was assigned. The GVWR is usually on a plaque or decal on the wall behind the drivers seat.

cheers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom