Ground Fault Indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malteselady

Last weekend I was at a dog show and the electrical plug next to my microwave stopped working.  I saw the little sign saying that plug had a Ground Fault Indicator and thanks to your excellent Library I now know that means the plug will be disconnected if water gets to it - which is possible because I made a mistake probably no other newbees make  ;D I had left the faucet open when I winterized it and forgot to shut if off before hooking up at the site and had water spraying all over when I came inside as the faucet was going full blast onto the counter top.  If you are laughing out there I bet you've done it too.  Frankly in my year of RVing I've learned that every trip is a learning experience with a new "adventure" just around the corner.

Anyway, my question now is, how do I get the plug to work again????  I checked all the fuses and none of them are bad???  The area is now dry and has been for days.  Thanks for any info.

The outlet marked Ground Fault Interrupter will have 2 square buttons on it, one marked Reset and one marked Test.  Press the Reset button in until it clicks and power will be restored.

I now know that means the plug will be disconnected if water gets to it
In fact, it does much more than that. It senses any imbalance in current at any appliance connected to it, preventing serious shocks... or worse. One GFCI outlet can protect several other outlets in your coach, so you may lose power at an outlet in the front of the coach when the GFCI in the kitchen area has tripped. Make sure you know where they are located so you don't have to spend a lot of time finding it(them).

Wow, instant answers - almost ???  I went and looked and I didn't see any reset buttons on the outside of the outlet.  Do I have to take the plate off the outlet to reset it??  If so what is the secret to doing that as I previously tried to take off one of the plates and they seem to be built onto the plug.  I can undo the screws but the outlet won't come down out of the hole and I can't get to it from above in the cabint because of the shelf.  Please don't laugh I'm a pretty smart lady but my hubby used to do all this type stuff so I'm having to learn some new skills.  Thanks a million!!

The GFI outlet that is controlling the outlet that does not work could be in the bathroom.  Look for an outlet that has two buttons between the double plugs and push the reset button.  Removal of the cover is not required to reset.

Debbie, just so you don't feel all alone, I have done exactly the same thing.  Leaving the faucet open and the sink cover in place really makes a mess. I have only done that once.

Thanks Ron it was indeed in the bathroom and the power has been restored.  I'll watch to see if it happens again to try and figure out why.

Cal you made me feel better and I won't do it but once either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom