Gulf Stream brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyanddoug

First time buyer. Looking at Gulf Stream new 30FBHS fifthwheel. 8840 lbs dry, 03 F-250FX4 w/factory tow pkg. 6.0 diesel Like to here opinions and experience with either Truck or Gulf Stream brand. Thank you.

What is the gross vehicle weight rating of that trailer?  It could be given terms of carrying capacity + weight.

What is the cab configuration of the truck and is truck 4wd or 2wd?  Is the transmission automatic or manual?

Additional information, truck is 2003 F-250 FX4 Crew cab 4X4 Auto 6.0 diesel, factory tow pkg. fifth wheel rating 10,600 lbs. Ford refers to the transmission as a (Diesel) transmission. Seems like a good vehicle, I have owned it for three years.
I have not heard much about the Gulf Stream brand of R/V. Anyone have a comment?
Thank you.

GVWR on the Gulfstream is 11260, according to the spec I saw on a dealer website.  That exceeds the 10,600 lb max towing capacity by more than a little.  Yeah, yeah, you won't ever load that much weight into it.  :-X  Well, our experience is that everybody ends up loading their RV near or over the max, at least once in awhile.

I'm not sure why Ford derates the F250 Crew Cab model so much - a Supercab 4x4 can haul 12,000 lbs.  But according to the fine print in the the Crew cab is limited to 10,400, even worse than the 10,600 you quoted.

A Ford diesel is an excellent hauler, but I think you need to look for a little bit lighter trailer.

I have not heard much about the Gulf Stream brand of R/V.

A few people here own Gulfstream Class C's and hopefully they will share their opinions.  A few others know someone who has had poor luck with their Gulfstreams, but I know some folks on another RV forum who absolutely love theirs.

Few fulltimers choose Gulfstreams trailers or motorhomes, though. They are generally considered more of a vacation class rig. That doesn't mean no good, but maybe says something about their durability under heavy use. But I do know one fulltimer in a Gulfstream Tourmaster motorhome and he is still happy after five years.

You are correct, the dealer had given me inaccurate information on the Gulf stream. I have found several others that will work just fine and are well below the tow rating of the vehicle. Thank you very much for your feedback.

jennyanddoug said:
Additional information, truck is 2003 F-250 FX4 Crew cab 4X4 Auto 6.0 diesel, factory tow pkg. fifth wheel rating 10,600 lbs. Ford refers to the transmission as a (Diesel) transmission. Seems like a good vehicle, I have owned it for three years.
I have not heard much about the Gulf Stream brand of R/V. Anyone have a comment?
Thank you.

What Gary said.  The trailer is too heavy for the truck.  Ratchet down until you find a trailer with a GVWR of no more than 9,500 lbs.  The F250 with the 6.0 TD is a good hauler, but not that good.

Back
Top Bottom