Ham Radio / APRS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

I know we have a number of Hams here, and a bunch of you use GPS to know where you are and where you are going.  So, does anyone use APRS for reporting your trip?  I am going to give it a shot so my buddies up here can track us going to FL. 

One of the guys is converting TripMates to a self contained, GOS/TNC etc.  JUst plug into your radio and off you go.  Of course there is some initial programming to do beforehand, program in your call sign, an icon etc, but once it is set, just give it power and a radio.  Beacons every so often, more often with turns. 

On the other hand, your exact location is now available to the world.  Some folks aren't happy about that stuff.

I am not nearly good enough to do that ..... Yet (Day will come)  but I can tell you this

Next Wed Night I plan on parking near N 44:19.502  W 83:55.878

There will be a bunch of hams in that general area (the campground) not including the regional director of the ARRL who is on the temp-disabled list this week (or so his e-mail said)

I may well learn more... If T-mobile or any other internet connection is live... I'll post

If I don't post, it means no connection

That said... I have found (Actually found it about 25 years ago) the perfect reason to NOT renew my ARRL membership.... Yup, when my Life Membership in the ARRL expieres, I won't be renewing :)

Bill:

I am an old timer (started out in 1954) and like Steve would like to hear more about this new technology.

Smoky - W3PY

Smoky,

Is your call an original issue?  I got my ticket in '72 as VE2ESV and got the new call two years ago when we moved to Ontario.

VA3VH

APRS Amateur Position Reporting System.  Uses an interface between GPS a TNC and a VHF radio.  Sends packet typew bursts with call, position and identifier, also can send a message along.  Works like a packet beacon.  Using software it will overlay the position reported onto a map.  In the case of a moving beacon, the icon moves on the map.  We uysed this for a bike ride I ran communications for.  We tracked the support vehicles.  If someone needed aid they could cell phone in and we could see the nearest support and direct them to the rider.  Also good to see the lead and the tail.  We can set one up on a bike, it is unattended operation, so person would not need to be a ham, the ae not in control. 

My friend is converting TripMates and adding I think a TinyTNC to it, so no need for a KAM or anything.  Connects direct to 2m radio.  I made up an intercnnect cable last night, need to set it up in the truck to see how it works.

There is an internet site where you can go on and see the calls and where they are located.  So, when I get set up, and start driving, you can go on the site and see where in the world is WA1RI-1.

I am not sure of the parameters, but www.findu.com is one way. 

My 1964 call was WN1BZY. 

BillnRI said:
So, does anyone use APRS for reporting your trip?

I used APRS for about a year and it was sort of fun.  I used the Street Pilot output to feed the TNC.

Phil

Thanks Bill for the explanation.

Steve, I was originally licensed as WN3FXP.  A year later passed the general and became W3FXP.  Right after college I passed my extra and participated in the new licensing program at the time that first allowed extra class licensees to specify their own call letters.  It was at that time I acquired W3PY.

Smoky

Back
Top Bottom