Ham Radio for Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
Tell me more about HRO.  Are you saying it is located in the Phoenix area?  If so, can you give me the address or approximate location?

Smoky,

HRO has a store here at 1939 W Dunlap Ave
Phoenix, AZ  85021. 

602-242-3515

BTW, how do you like the Country/Western dance at Happy Trails?

Phil

Phil:

We keep forgetting to get up there on Tuesdays, but will make it one week I am sure.  They are due back at El Mirage on December 17.

John In Detroit,

You might try fishing arrows.  They are fairly heavy fiberglas and will carry your fishing line a lot farther.  I use a blunt rubber practice tiip on mine so the arrow doesn't stick in the tree and adds a little more weight.

--Steve, NO7V

RobertandKiki said:
I've got an Icom 706MK2G waiting to go in the MH. Still trying to figure out good antenna setup with my fiberglass roof...
N7SLD/KC7SAU

Don't know your rig however on my mostly fiberglass rig I was looking at the frame near the trailer hitch....

I think I'm going to have my local body shop extend the frame a few inches past the back side and put a nice verticle whip on the extension... Just what whip I won't know till May (Dayton) but that looks like the solution to me

Robert,

>>I've got an Icom 706MK2G waiting to go in the MH. Still trying to figure out good antenna setup with my fiberglass roof...<<

One of the neatest I have seen is a Shakespeare marine, 3 to 30 Mhz mounted on the roof.? He used an old satellite actuator to raise and lower it.? Lowered it worked as a NVIS and raised it was a vertical 1/2 wave dipole.? I wish I had a picture of it? It is long, about 30 feet if I recall.

Jim
AC7PO

Ron,

I just don't remember John's setup other than the radios in the bay!? BG? Those had me drooling!? Post it if you have it as it would be a good example.? John always does thing first class!

James Godward said:
Ron,

I just don't remember John's setup other than the radios in the bay!? BG? Those had me drooling!? Post it if you have it as it would be a good example.? John always does thing first class!

I will have to search for the photo if I do have what I think I have. ;D

Guess it is time for me to chime in. 
The 706 is a great choice, I had one, now I have the 746Pro.  For mobile use the 706 is great.  Especially the remote head.  If you are going to be using it while parked the 746 would be nice, bigger display etc. 

Antennas, the High Sierra is great, versatile, easy to use.  You could go new with both for under $1000. 

Talking and driving, really depends on the person.  Some folks are distracted by a windshield wiper.  Some can multi task.  I find a conversation on a late night drive home is much safer than just driving.  Keeps you alert. 

Getting licensed, ARRL is a great resource, they can help you find local groups, they have manuals to help you learn and they are the voice for the ham in  dealing with issues, whether it is in Congress or to the manufacturers.  Well worth the annual membership fee.  Kind of like FMCA for hams.

I was licensed initally in 1964, then again in 1980 and continually since then.  I hold an Extra class license and accreidted to administer exams.  I was also the Assistant Section Manager for RI before we moved for the previous 3 years. 

Nevertheless, all the above is JMHO, your mileage may vary.

Bill,

What's your view on the state of the hobby in 2005?  I haven't been on the air since 1997 when internet communication became popular.  I sold the HF station when we began fulltiming, and have a 2M rig packed away that I forgot how to use.

What's the activity like now and what are the prospects for the future?

I decided to go with Hustler for 20/40(cheap for now) while parked for now & will move to something bigger & better in the future....Also installing 2m/440 Diamond (SG7500) that I already owned, Also own SG7900 but too tall.

Steve said:
Bill,

What's your view on the state of the hobby in 2005?  I haven't been on the air since 1997 when internet communication became popular.  I sold the HF station when we began fulltiming, and have a 2M rig packed away that I forgot how to use.

What's new.. Well,  I'm not sure just where 1997 puts us but the FCC has ended issuance of novice licenses and now starts with a "no code" technician license.  Code speeds for all other licenses have been reduced to 5wpm. No more 13 (or faster) code speeds required,  They are trying to do away with all code requirments!!!

If you have a Technician PLUS issued 1983 or earlier you can upgrade to General by proving the age of your license to a VE or 3.

We did get a new band (what is it, 17 meters?, not sure, don't use it)

Does any of this help.

Many advances in repeter tech for 2 mtr and above use.. For example linking of repeaters is much more common today than 30 years ago

RobertandKiki said:
I decided to go with Hustler for 20/40(cheap for now) while parked for now & will move to something bigger & better in the future....Also installing 2m/440 Diamond (SG7500) that I already owned, Also own SG7900 but too tall.

I have a Diamond on my Damon too.. Not sure of the model without trudging through the snow to where it's parked.

As for lo-band antennas... There are so many, and I've come to the conclusion that the only way to choose one is going to be "Eyes on" so  Dayton here I come

(Folks who don't know.. Dayton, Oh to a Ham is like Quartzsite, AZ to all of us here)

Phil:

You said that HRO was near Fry's.  Which Fry's?  I see one at Tempe at 2300 Baseline Rd and one in Phoenix at 3035 W Thunderbird Road.

Smoky said:
You said that HRO was near Fry's.  Which Fry's?  I see one at Tempe at 2300 Baseline Rd and one in Phoenix at 3035 W Thunderbird Road.

Smoky,

The only Fry's I go to down here is the one on Thunderbird Road.  HRO is at 1939 W Dunlap Ave.

The trip is to HRO then Fry's and then Trader Joe's in Sun City on the way home.

Phil

OOOhhh!  Trader Joe's.  What a great way to end the circuit!

I found HRO on my GPS.  Maybe I can get there this Thursday.

Steve
97?  Some stuff was covered, but I believe the date for Tech to General is 87.  Possibly 89, it was when the tech requirement dropped code testing. 

Repeater use, based on the machine, has stayed the same or degenerated.  My old repeater back in RI had gone downhill.  We were a friendly repeater, and others shunned some of the new guys, but that brought in another wave and it has really gone south.  I started just turning it off. 

Down here in Pasco County, good machine, good bunch of guys.  146.64 is passing thru. 

I have a 746 Pro and a screwdriver ant.  I have not used it since installing it.  actually, never even finished installation.  Got so bloody busy never finished.  I am going to try to finish up soon.

PancakeBill said:
Steve
97?  Some stuff was covered, but I believe the date for Tech to General is 87.  Possibly 89, it was when the tech requirement dropped code testing. 

1987 Here is the revelent info: (I asked a VE about it a couple of days ago, this is cut and paste from his E-mail)

f it was before 3/21/87,you also have credit for the General written test,and for $14.00(exact change(cash only)),you can automatically become a General-class licensee(with original(and xeroxed)proof of your past(and current)license(s)). If you so desire and take and pass the Extra-class written test,you will then become a Extra-class licensee.

Proof can be your original license, with copy, or an original Call book, with copy or a lette from the FCC, with copy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom