Handicap campers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsb

morning, we have been campers all our lives, (62 yr old) we have been taking care of my inlaws for a few years, MIL passed 3 years ago, we go camping when we can, but its getting harder as time passes, he can barely walk with a walker, (300 lb) so a wheel chair is a must, I have been beating my head trying to figure a way for access, so we can keep going (camping is one of the few things we can do to get away) I have though about toy hauler, but very few have a side door, back door,as you know won't work at most campsites, a lift might work but $$$ a ramp would not work very well either because of room. what you say?

Newmar has been producing a class A with a wheelchair lift and roll-in showers for some time. Winnebago recently came out with an hadicapped RV.

would love to go MH or new but thats out of my budget, on a side note, I don't get he much anymore (time) but the last few time I check in ( I am afraid I know the answer) I have not seen Gary (staff) I always liked him and his knowledge 

Gary is in the hospital, had open heart surgery.

Follow the post  here:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,119849.new.html#new 

How about renting an handicap camper such as:

https://rvshare.com/rv/handicap-rv-rentals

Jennifer

Able Family Life on YouTube has a nice ramp setup.  You can get ramps that can  hold  up to 600 pounds and have an extendable platform made to make the turn at the door.  But it sounds like he is too disabled to really maneuver comfortably.  Our son is disabled and loves to go camping but he?s 9 and gets around very well.  I think the ramp option might work for you if you do 2 sets with a platform between.  The incline won?t be as severe that way.  Will his wheelchair fit through your camper door?  If not I think a toy hauler is about the best option for you.

Best of luck.  Let us know which way you decide to go.

thanks everyone, I will go look at the ramp system, I have looked at a few toy haulers and the problem with them is very few have a side ramp door, and the bathroom's are not big enough. Has any one found a good lift, that is portable? sad to hear about Gary, after I made this post I seen the one about him, hope he has a speedy recovery

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom