Handicapped entrance lift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapnD

Where do I find information on putting a lift on my class A so my wife doesn't have to climb any steps.  Needs to be simple and strong.  Anyone have one that would share their experience? ???

Here's one source for lifts: http://www.lectraaid.com/

Hi, I am sure glad that I logged in tonight and found your message. We have an electric lift for our class A MH and like it very much. During the time we researched the life we learned that there are only two companies in the US that make theml LektraAid is located in Phoenix and StarTracks Lifts, located in Indiana. Their web addy is www.startrackslifts.com

Our life was custom made to fit in the doorway of our MH and we had the choice of mounting inside or out. Fortunately we had room to mount the pole inside. We felt it would stay cleaner, not picking up dust, etc.

I know my husband would be happy to visit with you about this if it will help you and your wife with your decision.

Without pushing you one way or the other, I do know that the owner of the Star Tracks lift was very helpful and easy to deal with.

Touch base with me if we can be of any further help.

We would be grounded without the lift, and I am so greatful to have it.

Sincerely,
BernerGran

Thanks to both of you.  Contacted Startracks today and they are going to work with me.  Nice folks.... Just our kind of people.
Now to find the motor home to install it on.  Getting excited but still have plenty of time to look.

Thanks again

dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback on the folks at Startracks.

BTW did you know that there are companies that specialize in making modifications to RVs to make them handicapped friendly? Also, some manufacturers will build that stuff into a new RV.

Hi CapnD,

Glad to hear you have been able to at least fiind someone to talk to.

Funny story: We bought our gently used National Seabreeze Diesel, I wouldn't say on a wim, but a local dealer here in Albuquerque was having a big ole sale in February 2 years ago. MDH (my dear husband) asked me if I wanted to take a run downtown and see what they had.

We have been "camping"/rving for nearly 35 years and we were nearing retirement and truly needed a new and larger unit. The coachmen 23 ft classC that we traded in was nearly 30 years old. Our 2 kids went from carbeds to college in it. Our son-26yrs old wanted to keep the passeneger seat because he had such great memories, and he learned to read a map in that seat with his dad. Anyway...

We went down to the dealership and found what we thought would be a great unit for us, what with my limitations, etc. Only problem, I couldn't get in or out of it due to my RA. And to make matters worse that day, I had broken my foot a week earlier and was walking in one of those big boots. When my husband said, "you really should make the effort to get in here so you can look it over, etc." There I was. I had to take the boot off because it wasn't safe attempting to get in the rig with it on. So I gently stepped up - Walt pulled from inside and the salesman had to push from the outside. Can you imagine that sight?

So, we bought that rig - mind you - one I couldn't get in or out of, and then began working with StarTracks. My husband and son installed the lift and it works just great. We have pictures of me on it if you would like to see it. Just let me know.

Sorry this was so long, but I have to wonder how many people spend that much money on a rig when one cannot get in or out of it.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more such discussion on the issues of disabilities and traveling in RVs.

Terrific luck to you.

BernerGran (Libby in Albuquerque)

I/We would love to see some pictures.  I am very mechanically inclined and would consider installing it myself. 
We are getting excited about this and will go full timing it around 2007 Jan or Feb.  Can't sell my house until March 2007 due to the tax ramifications.  If you could you can email the pictures to( [email protected] )

Thanks again

dave

Hi CapnD,

Good deal. The pics are on my husband's computer, so give us a bit of time and will e-mail them to you.

I am just so excited that someone will be able to have some added freedom because of this.

I plan to keep going until I cannot.

Keep in touch, and we'll get you set up.

We'll get the pics to you asap.

BernerGran

Libby,

Any chance you could post the photos here in the forum so others can have the benefit of seeing them? Click here for an explanation of how to attach photos to messages.

Thanks.

Sure Tom, I'll get my husband to get them up on the forum. Hopefully either tonight or tomorrow.

It is so important for everyone to know about this type of product. I cannot imagine for one second that I am the only one - and now Capn D's wife who would benefit from the use of them.

We'll get to it asap.

Best, Berner Gran - Libby

Thanks Libby. If you run into a problem, just email them to me and I'll get them uploaded.

BTW your messages and Dave's prompted me to start work on a file for our library specifically covering handicapped access to and use of of RVs. I have more research to do, but I'll post a message when it's done. Thanks for the (unintended) nudge.

Way to go Tom, and thanks a bunch. Isn't Winnebago one of the companies that will custom fit your new rig for you?

Let me know if there's anything I can contribute to the "cause". Or perhaps I have already caused enough trouble.  :D

I have somem thoughts that might help a bit. I might just make some notes and send them to you privately so you can give some issues some thought before placing them someplace on the board.

BTW, I do enjoy reading the board. Good people - especially my pal Bob Maxwell and dear wonderful Bev!

Well, off to my chair for the olympics.

BernerGran - - -Libby

LOL Libby. FWIW here's the first line of the file; Thought it might give you a chuckle.

"Most RV designers appear to have no idea about the difficulties of boarding or using their product experienced by handicapped folks, although there are some exceptions."

I have to dig out my prior research, but I believe you're correct about Winnebago.

Libby, Tom,

TY TY TY THANK YOU  What a wonderful start I am having .  Your comments are right on.  I have also found that there are "comfort height" toilets available for RVs and I can put Grab bars where needed.  I would like to know what is under the skin around the door of an RV to know if it will support the Lift.  I realize that there are so many different brands and models that this is a very open ended question.  but maybe someone has had the misfortune to look.

Dave,

Most folks don't understand the need for "comfort height" toilets until they need them (i.e. they can't sit down &/or get up). They can be a real back saver even for someone who is not otherwise handicapped.

I suspect that the walls of the bathroom are pretty flimsy, but a call to the manufacturer should tell you what's inside. They might even provide a drawing showing the construction of the wall. Another solution, although not "pretty" might be to cut a couple of access panels on the other side of the wall and add some wood blocks into which the grab bars can be screwed. Obviously, you'd need to cover the access holes with something afterwards, but could be almost anything from a plastic cover plate to a small picture to a mirror tile.

Dear friends,

My apologies for not getting the pictures up on the site. When my husband looked for them, he couldn't put his fingers on them, so we are still looking. I feel certain they are here, but are on a CD or something. We will find them - rest assured.

In addition, we just got our rig out of storage, so he has been working on it for a couple of days to get it ready to go. We are leaving tomorrow afternoon for Scottsdale for 4 dog shows, so between the rig, dog classes, shopping, packing, I'm afraid the pics have to be put on the back burner until we get home late next week.

I promise I won't forget them.  :eek:

I have lots of comments on the whole handicapped issue, but they too will have to wait. Our daughter just called and needs a baby sitter for a couple of hours this afternoon, so I need to get to packing.

Best to all,

BernerGran (Libby in Albuquerque)

Have a good trip to Scottsdale Libby. Talk to you when you get back and have some free time.

Tom, I 'preciate that. It is in the 60s here in Alb. today, 70s down south in Carlsbad. I expect we will have some great weather in Scottsdale.

Talk to you next week.

Libby

Hi CapnD

My wife Diane and I have to do the same thing, that is put a seat lift in our class A as Diane is disabled.  The people we are talking with to install the seat lift is a company called Life Essentials in Brookston IN.  They have a website at http://www.life-essentials.net/motorcamprv.html for the lift we are going to have installed.  You might want to talk to them also as their prices seemed to be a bit better.  We talked to the people at Startracks also but decided on Life Essentials.

Karl

Hi friends,

Back from Scottsdale. Not such a good trip, however. We arrived home on Wednesday the 8th and I was in ICU two hours later with a life threatening infection that I didn't know I had. I was sick during the trip but didn't recognize the severity of what was going on and by the time we got home, was just about unconscious. Not fun. After 3 days in ICU and a couple of days on the regular floor, I have been home for a week in bed resting, mostly sleeping. It was caused by kidney stones. I still have a very large one that must be removed.

While I do feel much better, this is the first day I have checked my e-mail, so probably won't be on line too much for a bit. I'm glad this discussion has generated such interest.

Hope to visit with y'all soon.

Libby

Back
Top Bottom