Hands down the dumbest thing I've ever done.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joezeppy

Was backing in at home yesterday and got distracted by traffic. Tried to move too quickly and missed the driveway. Normally this is correctable but with all the rain we've had the truck's rear tire slid into the ditch. An hour of recovery with my neighbor's help and the only damage was to my pride...and lawn. Trying to tell myself I got lucky. Lesson learned - other drivers can wait while I back in slowly.

On a side note, thank God for a good supply of firewood!

Attachments

• 4461.jpeg
    4461.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 4469.jpeg
    4469.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 4470.jpeg
    4470.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 68
Get the rake out, throw some seed on it. Could have been a whole lot worse. Pride heals itself, set lower standards for yourself. ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Seriously, be thankful nothing bad really happened (y)

If there was no damage to the camper or truck I would not worry too much. Hopefully it will be a good lesson to other members.

Well. can't say I have not seen it happen. Once drove through a sand pile.. (200 dollars later I was on the road again)
Once heard a WHUMP and thought What the (I was parked, Jacks down at the time, Not my rig) Couple loading their car on the dolly... Dolly did not have a proper wheel stop and she over shot.
We got it up part way and a tow truck the rest (Way cheaper would have been a much harder job without my jacks and portable lumber yard)

And then there was the doctor who got a brand new 12' tall air stream and attempted to back into his 11' tall garage.. I was on the roof re-shingling at the time.

Was backing in at home yesterday and got distracted by traffic. Tried to move too quickly and missed the driveway. Normally this is correctable but with all the rain we've had the truck's rear tire slid into the ditch. An hour of recovery with my neighbor's help and the only damage was to my pride...and lawn. Trying to tell myself I got lucky. Lesson learned - other drivers can wait while I back in slowly.

On a side note, thank God for a good supply of firewood!

Uh, seriously?!? You damaged your lawn?? THAT's the dumbest thing you've done?!? :eek::rolleyes:

That is SOooo amateurish when it comes to dumb.

As a card carrying member of the Professional ICBIDT (I Can't Believe I Did That) Society, that's not even close to an action that would qualify you for membership.

Now that you have joined the fraternity carry on and enjoy the joourney. Seriously, that is minor compared to the stunts some have pulled. Not gonna mention any names.

Your ditch isn't quite as deep as mine, and has a much gentler slope. What you did is one of my biggest fears when parking mine at home. That's why I have my wife back there, and I've told her, if I come too close to the edge, she starts making all kinds of noise. And I stop immediately and correct. Or even drive around the block and start all over again (which I've done many times). I have also widened my driveways since this picture was taken.

DSCN0507 (Medium).jpeg

Also baking up in that direction you have a huge blind spot. Try turning around and back in from the other direction, you then will be able to see exactly where the wheels of the trailer are.

Last edited:
Your ditch isn't quite as deep as mine, and has a much gentler slope. What you did is one of my biggest fears when parking mine at home. That's why I have my wife back there, and I've told her, if I come too close to the edge, she starts making all kinds of noise. And I stop immediately and correct. Or even drive around the block and start all over again (which I've done many times). I have also widened my driveways since this picture was taken.

View attachment 147712
My in-laws had the same driveway as you have. I always backed in from the other direction so I could see the RV wheels (we had a triple axle). It was easy to line the shells up with the edge of the driveway.

Your ditch isn't quite as deep as mine, and has a much gentler slope.
Interestingly enough, last fall the county re-dug most of the ditches up and down our road to curtail some flooding problems. They skipped mine so I asked why and they said it was deep enough - it was already below the culvert. If they had done mine, too, it would have been about a foot deeper and I would have needed a professional recovery for sure! I'm thankful for that.

Also baking up in that direction you have a huge blind spot. Try turning around and back in from the other direction, you then will be able to see exactly where the wheels of the trailer are.

My in-laws had the same driveway as you have. I always backed in from the other direction so I could see the RV wheels (we had a triple axle). It was easy to line the shells up with the edge of the driveway.
I would prefer to back in on the driver's side, too, and I have a couple of times but it's actually somewhat dangerous. Our house is on the inside of a curve on a 55 MPH rural road which means I would have to cross the double line on a blind curve to set up my approach, unfortunately.

Attachments

• House.JPG
    House.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 13
Have someone go down around the curve to stop or at least warn the oncoming cars. It should only take a total of 4 to 5 minutes to back it in.
Is that a road or driveway across the road from your driveway . It would be a piece if cake if you could pull down there then just back directly across the road right into the driveway.

We sometimes have to take Kim's car on local camping trips. In that case she will follow me home and block traffic which works well. There is no road across from us. Its odd how it shows on the map. I think it's an old right of way or something but in reality it's just guard rail, ditch, and woods!

Unfortunately, for that driveway, the neighbor across the street has their mailbox (big brick mailbox) that prevents me from backing in that way. I have a U shaped driveway though, so I now use the other driveway, which allows me to back in on the driver's side. I also had to get that driveway repaired and widened though before I could use it. But it's all good now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom