Hanging Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

I believe there is a product that can be used to hang pictures that does not require nailing or screwing into the wall.  RV walls are very thin, with wires and pipes often hidden.

Of course it has to be strong enough to withstand the bumps along the road while driving!!

How can pictures be secured in an RV?

I believe it's 3M that makes adhesive picture hanging tabs that can be removed without damaging the surface, but I doubt they are suitable for RV use. I like to use Velcro myself. Sam's has the 2" x 20' industrial strength stuff for around $15, if memory serves.

Hi Karl!

Is the industrial streength velcro at Sam's self adhesive?  What about heat build up in the RV in hot climates..do you feel the adhesive will hold in the heat?

Karl said:
I believe it's 3M that makes adhesive picture hanging tabs that can be removed without damaging the surface, but I doubt they are suitable for RV use. I like to use Velcro myself. Sam's has the 2" x 20' industrial strength stuff for around $15, if memory serves.

We have two or three of the 3M removeable hooks holding up pictures. Even have a clock hanging on one. We put them up in 2000 and they're still "hanging" in there.  ;D We put a small dab of earthquake putty on the bottom edge to keep the pictures from swinging and scratching the wall covering.

Being from Eastern Canada where we have not experienced many earthquakes {TG}  I am not familiar with earthquake putty.  Would you please explain.

I suppose there are a number of accessories sold for people living in earthquake prone areas that might be of use in an RV... ??

Steve,

Yes, it's self-adhesive and holds quite well even in high heat. Surface has to be clean and grease/wax free. Older Velcro had a less adhesive backing which, in some cases, required a little dab of contact cement. Not so with the new stuff.

Steve,

There are a couple of products that will hold pictures. The one we use is what some call earthquake putty or mounting putty. If you take a photo and mat it you can mount it with earthquake putty very easily. Under most conditions it will hold quite well. You cannot use any kind of frame as it will be too heavy. I have one photo that has been on the wall for about 5 years without moving. Unfortunately it is fading and I need to replace it with a new copy. :)

Another product is the self adhering hooks that are removable at will. These work fairly well but I am not sure they would be useful for photos. We have used them for other applications.

Steve said:
Being from Eastern Canada where we have not experienced many earthquakes {TG}? ?I am not familiar with earthquake putty.? Would you please explain.

I suppose there are a number of accessories sold for people living in earthquake prone areas that might be of use in an RV... ??

Steve,

It goes by several names. Earthquake putty, mounting putty, poster putty. We got ours at a WalMart in the section where they have school supplies. What we got at WalMart was called "poster putty" .

I use 1-2 inch sticky back velcro, then I staple it. I have had no problems in 9 years, if you want to remove it very easy and little holes. The velcro will eventually come unglued so you need the staples.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom