Happy Camper holding tank treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohiosnowbird

We bought a small container of Happy camper to see if it works better than tst max. The ingredients are not listed. Does anyone know what Happy camper ingredients are, what’s the chemical?

What is the test criteria?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
The biggest criteria is that for whatever reason we can’t find tst max online or locally right now. Tst is good at masking odor, happy camper says it eliminates it. Tst breaks stuff down into a wonderful poo-stew but leaves the tank kind of - really dirty. So I want to see if it really eliminates odor and does a better job cleaning what I can see into the tank. Our camper is parked in the front yard (again) and the toilet gets used every day. (We’re doing some improvement projects to the house over the summer and staying in the camper). We plan to do a deep clean with adios before we head out again in the fall.

I cant tell you what's in it but Happy Camper seems to have worked for us for years. We have had no odor problems since we started using it. It also helps when we use a bit of extra water when we flush, along with an annual tank flush.

Just my $.02

Safe travels and all the best.

They don’t post ingredients, but based on what they say, it has inorganic salts and surfactants at least. It isn’t stolen CA because the state wanted testing and it cost too much. I am guessing it is more like the Geo method, but a lot easier. We use it regularly, and the guy we had clean our tanks said the black tank was in really good shape (we mostly wanted him to clean the gray). You have to use double the amount in hot humid weather, and you still need to add a bunch of water.

We've used Happy Camper for many years. It works where others fail. Can't get it in California anymore. Still sold in Oregon though.

Last edited:
We use Simple Green and/or Dawn since we already have it.

We've found that the majority of "RV" products are just solutions looking for problems and someone's money.

I guess I've been living in ignorant bliss. I never smell anything from either of my tanks. Aside from replacing the blade valves a few years ago I've never ventured to look in there. It's a box that holds poop, just how "clean" does it need to be? Suspect if there was an issue with the in/out ratio not being equal it would've manifested itself by now. I chuck some dawn and borax in there for good measure, I carry those in the RV anyway. On the way to the dump station I'll run the sink faucet until the black tank is full, assuring a good "whoosh" through. Maybe it's tank specific and some systems are better than others in terms of purging their contents. Doesn't explain the odor thing though, to me that implies a venting issue. Maybe someone's done a study on the various tank adjuncts and their net effect, consumer reports style. Without something like that substantiating a tangible benefit I'm thinking like Domo, it's a (harmless) solution seeking a suitable problem, or masking an actual one.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I guess I've been living in ignorant bliss. I never smell anything from either of my tanks. Aside from replacing the blade valves a few years ago I've never ventured to look in there. It's a box that holds poop, just how "clean" does it need to be? Suspect if there was an issue with the in/out ratio not being equal it would've manifested itself by now. I chuck some dawn and borax in there for good measure, I carry those in the RV anyway. On the way to the dump station I'll run the sink faucet until the black tank is full, assuring a good "whoosh" through. Maybe it's tank specific and some systems are better than others in terms of purging their contents. Doesn't explain the odor thing though, to me that implies a venting issue. Maybe someone's done a study on the various tank adjuncts and their net effect, consumer reports style. Without something like that substantiating a tangible benefit I'm thinking like Domo, it's a (harmless) solution seeking a suitable problem, or masking an actual one.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
It's a box that holds poop, just how "clean" does it need to be?
When I clean the bowl there’s always an odor. Then I opened the blade valve and saw there is a shelf with “nasties” on it. In my mind it should be a giant funnel that goes to the box that holds poop but it’s not. There’s that stupid shelf that causes the odor.
Doesn't explain the odor thing though, to me that implies a venting issue.
I have a tool to get it semi clean, but there’s always that odor. We’re going to replace the shower and the toilet will need to come out to do the shower work. We’re going to take a good look at the nasty shelf then.

I have a tool to get it semi clean, but there’s always that odor.
If you want to clean the inside of the waste tanks it really isn't difficult. When you are getting ready to move just empty both waste tanks and then fill them about 1/3 - 1/2 full of fresh water while adding good measure of laundry detergent. When you arrive at the next stop, before you do much else, dump both tanks and that will clean them much better than any of the commercial additives. If you want the best possible cleaner, instead of using laundry detergent, use TSP from Amazon or your local Lowe's (or Home Depot) wallpaper area. Tri Sodium Phosphate is the strongest cleaner that is easily available and it won't harm anything in the RV or the park's sewer system.

There’s that stupid shelf that causes the odor.
I don't think there's much of distinction between the shelf and the bottom of the tank that's just 18" or whatever further away. It's not springtime fresh anywhere in that tank. You have a seal problem, somewhere. You can try to mask it with treatments but at the end of the day a sealed system won't need it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

...On the way to the dump station I'll run the sink faucet until the black tank is full, assuring a good "whoosh" through.
Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Sink faucet/drain connected to the black tank? I'm not sure I ever heard of that before. Every RV we've ever had only the commode went into the black tank. Sinks and shower always went into gray.

Sink faucet/drain connected to the black tank? I'm not sure I ever heard of that before. Every RV we've ever had only the commode went into the black tank. Sinks and shower always went into gray.
We've had both versions of the plumbing. Our '95 Coachmen had the bathroom sink drain plumbed into the black tank and the shower drain plumbed into the grey tank. Our 2001 Landau on the other hand, has the bathroom sink and shower plumbed into the grey tank. I think it's just a matter of balancing the tank capacities versus the expected usage volume and plumbing layout. If both tanks tend to fill up at about the same rate, then the designer pretty much nailed it.

We've had both versions of the plumbing. Our '95 Coachmen had the bathroom sink drain plumbed into the black tank and the shower drain plumbed into the grey tank. Our 2001 Landau on the other hand, has the bathroom sink and shower plumbed into the grey tank. I think it's just a matter of balancing the tank capacities versus the expected usage volume and plumbing layout. If both tanks tend to fill up at about the same rate, then the designer pretty much nailed it.
Well - that’s a first for me. Never knew that anything besides commode went to the black tank. Never too old to learn.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afshan
Back
Top Bottom