Happy Veterans Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
For the past 5 or 6 years a couple of buddies and I have gone to the local HyVee grocery for a free breakfast on Veterans Day.  Today we were a little late, didn't even have to wait in line.  Always before they have had managers serving and someone there to carry your tray to the table.  This time the buffet was set up, but no servers.  They were supposed to serve until 11:00, but at 10:15 the food was getting cold and several serving dishes were empty.  I asked an employee if it was supposed to continue til 11:00................ she apologized and said they would refill with fresh food.  We ate quietly and left with nobody saying thanks for serving, or anything of the kind.

This afternoon I was browsing the internet to see what others were doing for vets today and learned that HyVee's Veteran Breakfast will be tomorrow.  I guess we stole Sunday Brunch this morning.

Yep, although the official Veteran's Day is today, the US celebrates it tomorrow.  Those government employees need their Monday off :)

We call it Remembrance Day in Canada, and here in Atlantic Canada, it really is a Holiday, virtually everything is closed, and most people join in the ceremonies at the local cenetath.  Donna and I joined about 15,000 people at our local ceremony to watch vets, military, cadets, scout/guides, and many more place wreathes at the memorial.  It was a nice sunny, warm (50's) fall day.  All in all it was a very emotional and moving experience.  Similar ceremonies took place across the country.

Ed 

I went to Chili's for late lunch and was surprized with a free entree from a list of 8 choices. Just had to show them my VFW Life membership card or any other proof of service.

I think AppleBee's and some others did the same.

Thanks,

Mike and I had a late lunch at Olive Garden, free from a list of 8 meals. Right after we ordered, the manager came to our table, introduced herself and thanked us for our service. All the employees were friendly and thanked us. It was a wonderful experience.

Try military wallet.com for a list of the freebies today and tomorrow.

You may think veterans aren't owed anything, but a sincere Thank You surely is appreciated.

Wendy

Thank you, Wendy and Milke, for your service to this country.  Thank you to all the other veterans on the forum, too, including my husband (Navy) and my son (Air Force).

Margi

Hey, Margi, we covered everything but Coast Guard ... Me Army, Mike Marine.

Wendy

Thank you to all of our service people here and around the world for their service.

In a recent subject asking what we were doing at the time, I replied that I was awaiting surgery.  Well, the surgery appears to have been successful...at least I'm here to tell you about it.  I got home Saturday afternoon and feeling quite good after fairly extensive neck surgery (fused c4-c5, c5-c6, c6-c7).  It's a bit difficult working around this danged collar, however.  Anyway, no freebie Vet lunch for me today (or tomorrow), but just to enjoy DW's home cooking and to take a "Thank you for your service, Grandpa," phone call from a couple of the prettiest granddaughters anyone could ask for.  So, I'm good.  Thanks to all you other veteran brothers and sisters.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20121111.JPG
    Snapshot_20121111.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 18
Hope your recovery goes well.

BTW, we have a collar in the closet if needed.  Wife had c-2, 3 done last September and she is like a new woman, well for her age!  :)

Veterans at Applebees were given Royal treatment tonight.  Free entrees from a special menu, a little patriotic Pin that said thank You.  Very friendly wait staff and managers came by table to say thank you.  No ID was required.  We were a party of 16,  six were vets. We were seated immediately  in  2 parties of 8 and we had great service! 

It was a wonderful day! Parades are tomorrow morning!

Here is a list I received for free dinner for all Veterans on Veterans day...Thank you for your service.

Attachments

• List.jpg
    List.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 6
Had a great meal of the $9.99 menu at O'Charlys' November 12th. If you bought the Salad or soup for $2.99 you recieved a free small dessert. We were thanked for our serviced and also given another $10.00 off card good until the 25th of November. Going back before it expires.

Thank you Business Owners for recognition of the Veterans!

Back
Top Bottom