Hardwired Generators - Options other than Onan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheJohnsonRodeo

I currently have an Onan 4000, "RV OG 4000" is what the casing says exactly.

It's mounted on top of a 2011 horse trailer and we purchased with about 875 hours on it last year.  We've put another 300-400 hours on it and done all of our due diligence maintenance with changing filters etc.  It's got issues.  It's using oil and throwing oil all over - including the computer board.  However the exhaust and spark plug don't show the signs of burning oil that our RV guy felt they should.  But I digress.

Long story short - we do have a mechanic who's going to take a look at it.  We have several other friends running these same generators and finding them to be money pits as well.  We are going to give the mechanic a limit on what he can spend on it.  We're actively trying to think of a plan C - Plan B is to haul our big noisy portable genset around as needed, I'm sure my neighbors will love me.

This is our first on board generator - I love the convenience, I love the start/stop from inside, the large fuel tank, etc etc.  I really don't want to go back to a portable genset and have it taking up space and needing fuel all the time.  The onboard generator was one reason we bought this trailer.

However I'm not finding any other options really for a hardwired generator other than Onans?

Don't forget, replacing the onboard gen can get considerably expensive.
I've read other threads here with similar issues (Onan spewing oil into gen compartment but I don't remember their resolutions. May do a search.

As others have said, check the price of replacing this unit before giving up on getting it repaired.  A complete rebuild of yours may be a good bit cheaper!

You have a bearing seal issue.  Easily fixed by a repair tech.  Though I can't even guess the cost.

I know Generac also makes RV generators  I assume other companies do as well but G and O are the only ones I know.

Thanks all, it?s at our mechanics place now and he?s taking a look at it.  His initial thought was that the breather / blow by tubes have shifted and the air filter is actually pulling oil out, he?s seen that before.  Next would be rings - but the other classic signs of a ring issue aren?t there.  We trust him.

I recognize that they?re expensive, I?ve priced them.  I also know a couple people who over the last 2 summers have put more repair money and parts Into theirs and had them not run more than they?ve run - they are rapidly approaching the point where they would have been money ahead to just replace them.

It?s frustrating because I do find folks who really don?t have any trouble with them.  Then you find the horror stories where they don?t run more than they do.  Ours isn?t as bad as our other 2 friends who have been having problems...yet.  That?s what I?m afraid of.

Back
Top Bottom