Harvest Hosts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlmgcamp

Saw this on a pop-up on some website. Basically you are joining a group that has hosts to bondock. They are farms, wineries, distilleries, etc. Network seems pretty extensive and at $99/yr it caught my eye. Downside is that the limit seems to be 1 night. If I am going through the effort of moving the rig, set-up and tear down 2 days in a row is not attractive as a destination. Although I can see it working if are destination is more than one day drive, which would be highly unusual for my current condition. Does anybody have experience with this group?

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
We do, and with “Boondockers Welcome”,too. They both pretty much work the same way. HH is usually a winery or such. BW is more often just a yard or farm field. You’re right in that it’s a nice way to overnight when on your way. We’ve stayed 2 nights once… just ask. No hookups, so ask if running generator is ok… never been told no. Spent a New Years Eve at a BW’s pond shore with two other rigs. Shared some bubbly with them.

LarsMac

I was looking in to HH, also.
So, there is not a lot of set up and tear down, it seems. You just pull up and park. They don't offer hook-ups, and it says, "No Tents"
Probably better than Cracker Barrel. :)

UTTransplant

HH also expects you to spend money at the business hosting you. Lots of people like that, but I don’t. I don’t drink much wine or beer, so wineries and breweries aren’t helpful. Farm stores are a maybe, and museums are possible, but that’s it. If you do join, look for a sale or for a discount through an organization you might already belong to like FMCA or Eacapees.

Jayflight

Harvest Host locations are actually a lot of fun. When spending money, you are actually getting something in return more than just a place to park. The wineries and distilleries are really beneficial for us. We buy one off spirits and gives them for gifts. Most have unique labels and makes a good conversation gift. One of our favorite spots is in New Mexico has a Blackberry wine and we still get them to ship wines to us on occasions.

Another one is in Arkansas and they have the best dinners for take out along with their wines. We camped with a big Class A and they filled up a basement with assorted wines. They told us that they stop both ways while crossing the middle part of the country to refill their stock.

The farms provide fresh product such as eggs and meat products that out west reduces the need to hunt out grocery stores. We even used a mushroom farm and was afforded fresh Shiitake mushrooms.

And more outlets are providing power and water for on average about 20 bucks, from what I have experienced. A lot of stops are not firm with the one night policy, if you ask. They have changed the booking policy to more online, which I have mixed feelings about. But it does save having to leave messages and hope they will call you back in a timely manner if you are attempting to book the same day when traveling.

There is a three strike rule about not showing up now. I understand the reasoning behind it with the smaller more out of the way places that do want some extra revenue that comes with a place to park.

We do think that their outlets are safer than walmart type parking lots, with Cracker Barrel being an exception. I will say that the only down side that we have found is that a majority are off the beaten path and does take some extra time from most of the interstate roads.

Krazeehorse33

We enjoy wineries with HH. But there’s some cool museums we plan to visit too. If you’re planning a trip I would recommend joining their group on FB as well. Multiple posts daily about current visits. You can join HH for $80-85 depending on the discount de jour.

Fyrflie

We have been HH members since 2019. On a recent trip cross country we tried to use HH as much as possible but over a 30 day trip, we only managed to stay at 7 HH sites. Only because there wasn’t always a Host available at our final destination or we just needed an RV park to dump and recharge or do laundry, etc.
We stayed at wineries, breweries, distilleries and farms. All were outstanding experiences with super nice hosts. Some had access to electricity or water. Some charged for those services, most did not.
Yes, the Host expects you to purchase something from them for parking on their property. Not a big deal at all. If you don’t drink alcohol, you can usually find other gifts to purchase. We often purchase gifts for Christmas or Birthdays, etc.
For a $99 investment, it’s a no brainer for us.

Babe2201

It does sound like a great idea. If you were traveling to one point or a couple of points and just needed overnight stays and if you could spend about the same or just slightly more on their products than what a campground would charge then it would be a great way to get some future gifts or stock up for when you got home.

Jayflight

In the western areas of the U.S. there are fewer HH outlets simply because of the lack of population. This is where we mainly found farms, including a lot of Alpaca farms. We were able to stay at one in Montross, Colorado. They were just getting ready to shear them, which was nice to see.

Some sell products made from the wool, IIRC The museums are nice too. But their hours can be unfavorable for late arrivals. BUt call ahead and you can still stay there in most cases. I will add that some of the wineries have music on the weekend. So if there is limited parking, they will not allow you to park there unless the parking is large.

Last edited:

silversport

We been members since 2018 and have enjoyed our stays. It one of many options we have as we travel down the road. For us the one night stay is what we are looking for, I do understand that some host will let you stay longer.

Babe2201

I wonder if there is a demo or trial version of it that you can look at the different hosts and make sure it would fit into any trip you are planning.

jymbee

I wonder if there is a demo or trial version of it that you can look at the different hosts and make sure it would fit into any trip you are planning.
Doesn't appear to be. My main gripe is that you can't see any options for a stay UNTIL you hand over $$$. Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jayflight

My conclusion in regards to paying before you are able to see the locations is you first need to figure out if you plan on doing a lot of traveling. If you do weekend or extended vacation times from work, I would say that its not worth it.

Tom

Administrator
Check this out:

Edit: I see you need to sign up to be able to see the details of a host on their map. But they offer a 3-month money back guarantee.

tlmgcamp

Check this out:

Edit: I see you need to sign up to be able to see the details of a host on their map. But they offer a 3-month money back guarantee.
I did not see the part about the 3 month money back. With that, I am inclined to give it a shot next season. At $99 it's paid for after 3 nights

phil-t

We stayed with a HH last fall on the Maine coast. Near my sister's place in Boothbay Harbor. Owner has a craft beer brewery and restaurant. He has 12 full hookup sites and charges $20/night. Both the beer and food are excellent. Boothbay Craft Brewery

Top Bottom