Has anyone converted a toyhauler garage to a quilting studio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sew on the Go

We are new full-timers, about to upgrade from our vacation trip toy hauler trailer to a larger fifth wheel toy hauler. While I have configured an embroidery sewing machine in its cabinet, a cutting surface, and an ironing station in the garage of our current trailer (when the motorcycle is not there), I would like to get my 10-foot HQ 16 long arm quilting machine, too, into the garage of our new fifth wheel. Has anyone done this? If so, any suggestions or watchouts for me? Photos?

TIA!

Patrice in Fairbanks, AK
Sew on the Go Custom Quilting
Jayco T24 Octane Toy Hauler, Ford F-150, Harley Ultra Classic Electra-Glide

My wife quilts as well.
I think if you look into the installation specifications of your long arm, it requires a pretty level and stable setup. I personally would be afraid of transporting a long arm without some sort of transport locks similar to the ones that were installed for the original shipping of the machine.
There are a lot of forces acting on it as you bump over bad bridge joints and nasty potholes.
EDIT: "She who knows Quilting" has informed me that your HQ is nothing like a Gammill. I was thinking it was built in a similar fashion and would really get hammered on the trail.
I leave my previous comments up there as a reminder to myself and others :D

Thanks, Kelly! She Who Knows Quilting is right that a HandiQuilter and a Gammill are different, but your advice about securing the mechanics and delicate electronics of the HQ, which can be separated from the table, is also spot-on: I will need to disconnect the machine and put in its original packing each time we move the rig.

I'm sorry that I can't give any advice.....but I am interested in how you quilt in a trailer.

We just moved up from a pop-up to a travel trailer. I would like to figure out how to bring along my quilting next summer. I just plan to do piecing, as that's a little easier to do while keeping track of two active boys!  I have my mom's old Singer 504. I wouldn't want to bring my Bernina with all those computer components. I already have a travel iron and ironing mat (although I could borrow DD22's portable ironing board). I was thinking of buying on of those portable tables that you can inset the sewing machine into. I would have all the fabric cut and ready to piece.

Do you sew indoors or outdoors? I could envision myself sitting under the sewing away under the awning in good weather; or inside when it's rainy.

Good luck figuring out how to get your quilting frame in the trailer.

Happy Quilting!

Mary uses a Sapphire 870 Quilt at home, and can roll up half a queen sized quilt in the longer throat.
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/viking-sapphire.php
I cut this machine into a large cherry office desk that was given to us, so she has a proper height and smooth surface to work on.
She also has a smaller husky machine and I found a table similar to this one on CL for ~$20
http://freshly-picked.com/march-giveaways-4/
We have yet to really set it up for quilting in the trailer since I got it, no extended stays yet.

My wife also does a lot of quilting. Last March on our trip to the Keys we stopped in Alabama for a GTG with another forum (auto forum). While I was out and about doing diesel truck stuff, she had the sewing machine, iron, etc on the table in the 5'er with the genny running sewing away for the whole day. This fall while spending 2 weeks up north, she had it all set up on the picnic table. She usually just sews the squares and the 'assembly' done at home, but the last time she did it all right there on the picnic table.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom