Has anyone used Flex Seal around Vents and Skylites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhbell

Has anyone used Flexseal around the vents and skylites on their travel trailer? I want actual users that have done that. Not hear say or my friend did this or that. I want to hear from actual users of flexseal liquid or spray. I want to do my Vents before I put covers over them. Flex Seal seems to be the easier way to go if the stuff will do the job and last a few years..
Mel

Haven't used their liquid or spray, but was disappointed with their tape. Hopefully, someone has experience with their other products.

I second the vote for Eternabond products.

Flex Seal breaks down rapidly when exposed to UV. I was given a spray can and tried it on a project - not RV related - and it only lasted a couple of months.

I was not impressed with the Flexseal spray. Used it on a non-rv project. I prefer the Gorilla brand, cheaper also. Not sure if Gorilla has liquid and/or spray. Used gorilla tape for the vent on my pop-up. Has held up so far. Better than the duct tape I used the year before. Haha

Has anyone used Flexseal around the vents and skylites on their travel trailer? I want actual users that have done that. Not hear say or my friend did this or that. I want to hear from actual users of flexseal liquid or spray. I want to do my Vents before I put covers over them. Flex Seal seems to be the easier way to go if the stuff will do the job and last a few years..
Mel
I sprayed flex seal on a hatch cover. After a winter outside storage I could literally rub the stuff off with my hand.

No more flex seal for me.

Don’t bother with the spray. The tape will give about a year of service in the Texas sun. The liquid in the can maybe two years. Make double sure you follow direction of surface prep.

x3 on Eternabond. When applied correctly, it is a lifetime repair. It comes in different sizes/widths for just about any part of your RV roof, but the 4" version covers just about all your needs.

There are I think half a dozen or so different "Flex" products, each more or less suited to a given application. One can look at the SDS to determine the base ingredients of the product to determine their applicability to your end use. The product site is fairly useless, too general and inspecific. I think it's a shining example of marketing a mediocre product. Contrast that to products that have specific application instructions and track records for RV use that are just as easily sourced. Not sure what the attraction to the "Flex" stuff would be at that point when at best it only might be just as good as the known good products.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I have not and considering how well Dicor, Sikken sealants and Eternabond tape works, I see no reason to use Flex Seal.

FlexSeal Tape is a cheap imitation EtenaBond Tape: RV Leak Repair Tapes & Sealants | EternaBond
I have used the FlexSeal spray and tape on my metal shop roof just to see if it was any good. The spray contains bubbles from the propellant so it is porous and not really water proof. It leaked as soon as it dried and I would expect any brand of spray to be the same. Just a spongy wet mess. Have you ever seen window screen strong enough to support an 180 lb man in a boat? Obviously faked.

The tape is similar to Eternabond but about as thick as electrical tape. The adhesive was good but very hard to apply because the tape is so thin. After a year it is still holding but is getting chalky which means it is breaking down and probably won't last another year. It doesn't cost much less than Eternabond so you would not save any money and lose money when you have to replace it. Eternabond will last 20 years instead of two.

The moral of this story is, don't buy any product you see on an infomercial.

Hi,
New here and saw this thread. Made me think of a YouTube video I watched yesterday.

Project Farm is a great resource.
Regards,
311 Fan

Now go expose those products to the sun / UV rays, pounding rain, leaves and other debris blowing around, and freeze/thaw cycles for a few years. That's the performance I'm interested in for an RV roof. ;)

Back
Top Bottom