Has Covid Vaccine Arrived in Your Area Yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom55555 said:
but in a year everything should back to normal.

Has anyone confirmed this is a one and done (or 2)?  Will this be like needing to get a flu shot yearly, or every 5 years? I also will be waiting until the rest more important ones are done first.  The way I look at it, the more that get done, surely the lower the positivity rate will be.

SpencerPJ said:
Has anyone confirmed this is a one and done (or 2)?  Will this be like needing to get a flu shot yearly, or every 5 years? I also will be waiting until the rest more important ones are done first.  The way I look at it, the more that get done, surely the lower the positivity rate will be.
I think it's like the flu vaccine so yearly unless they determine your immunity....

Don't underestimate how hard this is going to be. Vaccinating 250 million people (5+ billion if you acknowledge that the rest of the world exists) is an unprecedented logistical challenge.
Front line health care workers and nursing home residents are the easy ones to vaccinate. They're concentrated in specific areas with an abundance of people trained to administer the shots.
The final mile from distribution point to needle in everyone else's arm is going to be a lot harder. Getting vaccine from factory to county-level distribution points is the relatively easy part of the task. There's been no time to do much more than brainstorm possible plans on how to handle things from there on, and little if any extra money or personnel available to implement them.

PopPop51 said:
Don't underestimate how hard this is going to be. Vaccinating 250 million people (5+ billion if you acknowledge that the rest of the world exists) is an unprecedented logistical challenge.

We did it twice for polio in the 1950s and 1960s.  I remember as a child seeing houses with "quarantine" signs, entire families sealed in their homes until an infection was no longer contagious with groceries delivered to their doorstep.  I got the Salk polio shot at my doctor's office.  Later when the lifetime Sabin oral vaccine became available it was given in sugar cubes to everyone in my school.

Lou Schneider said:
We did it twice for polio in the 1950s and 1960s.  I remember as a child seeing entire families sealed under quarantine in their homes with groceries delivered to their doorstep.  I got the Salk polio shot at my doctor's office.  Later when the lifetime Sabin oral vaccine became available it was in a sugar cube given to entire schools at a time.

I was one of those kids.
"Between 1962 and 1965, about 100 million Americans (roughly 56% of the population at that time) received the Sabin vaccine." (ref:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine

The difference this time is that we're hoping to get it done in one year.
It's probably doable, but it ain't gonna be easy.

jackiemac said:
I think it's like the flu vaccine so yearly unless they determine your immunity....

This is unknown, they have not been tracking the trial subjects long enough to know how long it will last yet, also how long it last may vary depending on which of the 3-4 vaccines you eventually get, in the US there are now 2 approved vaccines, with a 3rd probably going up for emergency approval in January

As to the rest, distribution logistics has came a long time in the last 55 years, with the invention of such things as computerized tracking, etc.

At the end of last week our co-op park's president was hospitalized with Covid while visiting Yuma.  Today he said he was given the same drug cocktail as President Trump received and he is feeling much better.

I agree be careful with this, last weekend our area former state Representative and his wife both died of Covid about 13 hours apart, he was 79 and she was 80.

SpencerPJ said:

No one can confirm anything until a year or 2 from now when they have some idea of how long the protection lasts.  It is likely more like a flu shot in that both this virus and the flu are ?corona viruses?

I predict that before the end of 2021 the science community will have analyzed sufficient data to have a reasonable conjecture of how things will proceed.

Lou Schneider said:
We did it twice for polio in the 1950s and 1960s.  I remember as a child seeing houses with "quarantine" signs, entire families sealed in their homes until an infection was no longer contagious with groceries delivered to their doorstep.  I got the Salk polio shot at my doctor's office.  Later when the lifetime Sabin oral vaccine became available it was given in sugar cubes to everyone in my school.

I lived in California in the 50s when the Salk vaccine program was going. They lined us up at school for each of the three shots.

Then, in the 60s , the same thing for the Sabin. I have to say that I much preferred the latter.

Wife got her first shot today.  Works in healthcare but not front line.  Pfizer.

Second dose scheduled for 3 weeks.  She?s not feeling so good right now...hope that passes soon.

LarsMac said:
I lived in California in the 50s when the Salk vaccine program was going. They lined us up at school for each of the three shots.

Then, in the 60s , the same thing for the Sabin. I have to say that I much preferred the latter.

I was in California in school in the 50s also.  Got the Vaccine and had a Polio type reaction.  I remember being on crutches for awhile.

That was back when they used the live virus. 

I remember the crutches but the details came from my Mom years later.

We lived in Pennsylvania during the 1950s polio epidemic.  My mother was babysitting a family of five children whose parents were out of town when polio hit our area.  She didn't come home for quite a while because she was afraid she would transmit it to me.  The oldest boy had the worst case and lived in an iron lung until he died almost ten years to the day after he contracted it.  One girl had it pretty bad but recovered and walked with a definite limp.  The others also got sick but milder cases - and Mother was there nursing them!  I think another girl had a slight limp. We kids weren't allowed to go outside and play with our friends or go to the local pools when they opened.  About a week ago I came across my vaccination records and I had three polio shots; one and then a followup one month later and then a third one about a year later.  I didn't realize until recently that polio had been around for a long time but apparently there weren't big epidemics like we had in the 1950s.

The vaccine is here and being administered to front line health care workers and extended care residents.  We're waiting....

ArdraF

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/dr-fauci-just-issued-this-warning-about-another-new-covid-strain/ss-BB1cuWkX?ocid=msedgntp

Dr. Fauci Just Issued This Warning About Another New COVID Strain
Yet another highly virulent new strain of COVID has recently been identified, and experts say it could be even more infectious than the ones that preceded it?including the U.K. variant that's now been found in four U.S. states. The new COVID strain, which was first identified in South Africa, could pose a serious risk to many Americans, according to Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and leading member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force. In an interview with Newsweek, Fauci said it was likely that the new strain of COVID?dubbed 501.V2?was already in the U.S., despite the fact that experts "have not detected the South African strain" in the country yet. Read on to see what else Fauci had to say about the new South African strain, and why it's cause for concern. And for insight into where coronavirus cases are on the rise, This State Now Has the Worst COVID Outbreak in the U.S.

"I would be surprised if it were not already in the United States, but you never know until you find it, and then prove it's here," Fauci told Newsweek. He said that, if by some chance it's not already in the U.S., it's inevitable that it'll come to America as people begin to move more freely between countries again. "Sooner or later it will get here," Fauci said.

In addition to its highly contagious nature, among the biggest concerns about the 501.V2 COVID strain is that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines being administered in the U.S. may not be as effective against it. However, Fauci noted that the existing U.S. vaccines are "very flexible," explaining that it would only take a few months to modify them for maximum efficacy against the South African COVID strain.

While Fauci said the vast majority of virus mutations are "meaningless," he acknowledged that the medical community is on high alert for any new strains that could set off a surge of new infections. "Every once in a while you get a mutation that does have clinical significance. And that's the reason why you need to continually monitor these changes," Fauci explained.

Read on to find out what else experts are saying about the South African COVID strain and what can be done to prevent its spread. And if you're eager to get your COVID shot, know that The FDA Just Ruled You Can't Do These 4 Things With the COVID Vaccines.

Read the original article on Best Life.

I am really aching to see some infection rate data for people who have been jabbed.

i.e. Health care workers in Covid wards.  Presumably there was an infection rate and we should see like a 95% reduction, right...

C/V arrived for the over 65 folks on Tuesday this week. 2,000 doses for a population of 178 thousand. A high % of folks is like me are well over 65 yrs old.

Our signup website "sold out" in 12 minutes from word of mouth.  :mad:

whiteva said:
C/V arrived for the over 65 folks on Tuesday this week. 2,000 doses for a population of 178 thousand. A high % of folks is like me are well over 65 yrs old.

Our signup website "sold out" in 12 minutes from word of mouth.  :mad:

Where is that?

Much the same story here in Louisiana where the state was getting approximately 10,500 doses being sent to 108 pharmacies around the state so about 98 doses per pharmacy for the estimated 640,000 qualifying people in the state (over 70, or end stage kidney failure, plus a few fringe medical people not in the first phase).  So roughly 1 dose for every 60 eligible people.  On a good point my 82 year old mother managed to get on the list at the local grocery store pharmacy which was selected in our city, the bad news is she has not yet received a call with an appointment time as of today (Thursday).  Around here they did not book up for about an hour after the announcement.  Though this might be partly due to everyone assuming Walgreens would be the pharmacy doing it like they are in the neighboring town.

I have my appointment for a shot tomorrow. I got mine and all of the appointments were taken before I could get an appointment for Judy.

Back
Top Bottom